|Previous level||Prologue (In game)
Persona Non Grata (Chronologically)
|Next level||Hunter Killer|
|Character||Derek "Frost" Westbrook|
U.S. Army Rangers
|Weapons||M4A1 with Hybrid Sight, XM25, Frags, 9-Bang|
|Enemy weapons||AK-47 with ACOG or Grenade Launcher, Red Dot Sight, and/or Silencer, P90 with or without Holographic Sight, SPAS-12 with or without Holographic Sight, RPG-7|
|Place||Manhattan, New York City, United States|
|Date||August 17th, 2016|
|Objective||• Fight your way to the Stock Exchange|
• Flank the Russians on Wall Street
• Fight your way to the Stock Exchange
• Rally with your squad in the lobby
• Get to the Stock Exchange roof
• Climb the ladder to the roof
• Plant a thermite charge on the jammer
• Detonate the thermite charge
• Use the Predator to take out enemy forces
• Use the Predator to take out the enemy Hind
• Board the Black Hawk
|Multiplayer map||Downturn, Hardhat|
|Special Ops||Flood the Market|
- Truck: "So what's the game plan?"
- Sandman: "Same as before. Burn the jammer, kill the bad guys."
- Grinch: "I like it."
- — Truck, Sandman and Grinch during "Black Tuesday".
"Black Tuesday" is the first mission of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. The player takes control of Derek "Frost" Westbrook, a Delta Force operator in New York. The objective of the mission is to destroy a Russian radio/microwave jammer placed on the Stock Exchange. Once the jammer is destroyed, the player will be extracted by a Black Hawk and must duel against Russian helicopters to reach New York Harbor, the location of the next mission.
- Metal Team
- Anvil Team
The level begins with the player, Sgt. Derek "Frost" Westbrook, and Sandman climbing from the wreckage of an overturned Humvee in Manhattan. They emerge to find themselves and a friendly Stryker battalion under attack, by Russian infantry and vehicles. The battalion fight their way up the street, past heavy resistance, and meet up with a convoy of Strykers at the corner of Exchange and Broadway.
Frost, Sandman, and the convoy are then ambushed by an Mi-24 at an enemy roadblock, forcing the team of Deltas to circumnavigate the road block and enter another building. After they clear the shop and alley, they meet with Grizzly and his team, as they fight in front of the Stock Exchange.
As the team reaches the New York Stock Exchange, they fight their way through the trade floor and take a service ladder up to the roof. Using thermite, Frost destroys the radio jammer on the roof, restoring radio communications to friendly forces, allowing air support to come. They then come under attack by enemy forces positioned on some nearby rooftops.
Frost uses guided missiles from a Predator Drone to neutralize the enemy troops on the roof, as well as an enemy gunship that arrives to provide support for the enemies. A Black Hawk then flies in to extract the team, but they are pursued by several Hinds through the Downtown Manhattan airspace. Frost, manning a minigun, destroys several gunships. At a nearby construction site, as Frost destroys one of the Hinds, Delta team's Black Hawk crashes into the scaffolding. The impact causes the Black Hawk to spin out of control, nearly throwing Frost out of the cabin. The pilot eventually regains control of the helicopter and the team is briefed while proceeding to their next mission in New York Harbor.
Modern Warfare 3: Walkthrough - Black Tuesday
|Found in level|
- Main article: Black Tuesday/Transcript
Too Big to Fail (10 / Bronze Trophy ) - Complete "Black Tuesday" on any difficulty.
This Is My Boomstick (20 / Bronze Trophy ) - Kill 30 enemies with the XM25 in "Black Tuesday".
- Head to the third floor of the first building entered at the beginning of the game. Poke around the bedrooms on that floor and the intel will be located on the floor of one of them.
- Enter the Jewelry Store and look for a table back underneath the stairs. This intel is located on top of that table.
- Stay in the Stock Exchange lobby and now look over on the left side. Spot a pair of ammo crates and look for the intel to be sitting near them.
- Enter the main Stock Exchange area and look toward the right side of it. In the corner next to the stairs is a trading kiosk counter, and on that counter is the fourth piece of intel.
- From the Stock Exchange lobby, go to the roof and find the intel resting on top of a fold-out table just before the final set of stairs.
- On the Wii version, after the player kills the Ultranationalists with RPG-7s near the Stock Exchange lobby and walks up to their bodies afterwards, the RPGs will disappear.
- After getting out of the jewelry store, to the right corner of the Memorial Building, there is an evacuation sign. In the Wii version of the level, there's a street sign instead.
- The title "Black Tuesday" is originated from the stock exchange crash during the Great Depression. It is related because of the destroyed stock market in this mission.
- The date of this level in the E3 Demo was May 13, 2016, as reported by the TV, where a news program displays the title "BATTLE FOR NEW YORK - America's last stand?" The date is changed to August 17 in the retail release.
- Despite the fact that an EMP blacked out the East Coast of the US in the level "Second Sun" during the events of the second game, electric devices work as usual. It is possible that new forces were introduced to the battle, considering that the Russian and American Forces do not wear the same outfits nor use the same version of the weapons used during the Second game, explaining why electric devices work as normal.
- The heavy amount of fortification and presence of equipment and jeeps suggests that the Russians were attempting to turn the Stock Exchange into a makeshift forward base.
- The quote that runs on the TV news crawl is a near word-for-word copy of Mayor Rudy Giuliani's comments about casualties following 9/11.
- A board in the Stock Exchange shows all of the major stock exchanges posting large losses.
- The MSE's symbol is a pyramid with the all-seeing eye.
- During the intel on the loading screen for this mission, it can be seen that the 75th Ranger Regiment is also fighting in New York. This regiment is the one which James Ramirez, Foley and Dunn, the main American protagonists of the previous game, are part of. The 75th is fighting in Central Manhattan Island, as seen from the loading screen.
- The 2nd Marine Division is also present on the loading screen, apparently fighting in the northern area of Manhattan Island.
- During the communication to Delta during the cutscene, a portrait of Frost, as well as the other members of Delta, is shown, though he is wearing a balaclava and goggles.
- All stock markets can be seen as falling, apart from those of Activision, Infinity Ward, Sledgehammer Games, Blizzard (part of the merger with Activision, developer and publisher of World of Warcraft and Diablo), Raven Software and Treyarch, who have stocks on the rise.
- Chronologically, this level takes place after Persona Non Grata.
- In the alley where the player has to throw a 9-Bang, there is graffiti on the wall that says "SHG" and "Sledgehammer", which are both references to Sledgehammer Games.
- Additionally, there is a sledgehammer on the table near the fifth intel.
- One can also find a drawing of a little girl, with a teddy bear in her hand, a possible reference to Samantha Maxis from Zombies.
- In one of the destroyed newspaper boxes, one can see a newspaper with the headline "Call of Duty 3".
- If one looks closely when leaving New York at the end of the mission, the new World Trade Center building can be seen.
- The sound effect which plays when the player destroys the last Hind is reused from Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2.
- The Inner Circle spawn theme is played during the assault on the store.
- All of the taxi cabs in the level say IW New York.
- This is the only mission in the series where the player's Predator Drone is not destroyed by Anti-Aircraft guns.
- On Recruit difficulty, if the player runs out of XM25 ammo after clearing out the Russians in the jewelry store before meeting with Anvil Team, it will be refilled to full ammo again once Sandman tells the player to use the XM25.
- This is the only level in Modern Warfare 3 where Strykers appear.
- Firefly is always destroyed while Samaritan and Frolic remain intact.
- In the E3 demo for Black Tuesday, the firing sound for the M4A1 is same as its firing sound in Modern Warfare 2.
- There are multiple suppressed AK-47s in the Stock Exchange.
- When looking at the second Hind after it is destroyed, the player will notice that it will seemingly vanish into thin air.
- When the player is going upstairs to the rooftop where the jammer is, enemies appear at the entrance of the second floor, meaning that they passed Anvil Team. But when Metal Team are in the helicopter, Anvil Team is seen still defending the building.