- "THERE'S A SOLDIER IN ALL OF US"
- — Series tag-line
The series is published by Activision and most of the games have been developed by Infinity Ward and Treyarch, though some were developed by Amaze Entertainment and Gray Matter Interactive Studios. More games are expected to be released on a yearly basis with Infinity Ward, Sledgehammer Games and Treyarch interchanging as producers each year. This has been in effect since the release of Call of Duty: Ghosts, replacing the old system of only Treyarch and Infinity Ward interchanging as main developers each year.
Call of Duty, the first installment in the series, won over eighty Game of the Year awards in 2003. In 2005, Call of Duty 2 was the first Xbox 360 title to sell one million copies and was the bestselling game of that year. In 2007, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare was a critical and commercial success, being the bestselling game of 2007 and having sold 10 million copies by June 2008. In 2009, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 broke the record for highest gross from a form of media's first day on the market, bringing in $310 million in the United States, United Kingdom and Australia alone, beating Grand Theft Auto IV's record of $310 million worldwide. However the highest revenue generated by an entertainment product in 24 hours is now held by Grand Theft Auto V at $800 million, $300 million more than Call of Duty: Black Ops II. Call of Duty: Ghosts was predicted by Activision to surpass this record, although did not succeed. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, the first Call of Duty solely developed by Sledgehammer Games, broke new ground in the franchise by introducing a setting far into the the future with a futuristic movement system, and was highly acclaimed and was the top selling game of the year. Call of Duty: Black Ops III was the biggest entertainment launch of 2015. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare took the franchise to space and was released along with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered, and became the top-grossing game of 2016, with both games receiving acclaim by critics and fans alike.
Overall, the franchise has earned over $15 billion since the first installment in 2003.
The series has been referred to and parodied by many television shows, including Chuck, NCIS, The Whitest Kids U' Know, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, Breaking Bad, Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (in two episodes), Helix, Outsiders, House of Cards, and Mr. Sark of X-Play listed it as his second favorite shooter series, saying "I like war movies, so I like Call of Duty". It has also been referenced in some movies, such as The A-Team and G.I. Joe: Retaliation. Additionally, video games such as Battlefield: Hardline have referenced it too. Plus, it has been mentioned in some commercials, such as in a commercial for the Samsung SUHD television.
List of Games
- 1) Call of Duty (2003)
- 4) Call of Duty: Finest Hour (2004)
- 5) Call of Duty 2 (2005)
- 8) Call of Duty 2: Big Red One (2005)
- 9) Call of Duty 3 (2006)
- 10) Call of Duty: Roads to Victory (2007)
- 11) Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (2007)
- 16) Call of Duty: World at War (2008)
- 21) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2009)
- 24) Call of Duty: Black Ops (2010)
- 28) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (2011)
- 29) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3: Defiance (2011)
- 30) Call of Duty: Black Ops II (2012)
- 33) Call of Duty Online (2013)
- 34) Call of Duty: Ghosts (2013)
- 35) Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (2014)
- 36) Call of Duty: Heroes (2014)
- 37) Call of Duty: Black Ops III (2015)
- 38) Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (2016)
- 39) Call of Duty: WWII (2017)
Main series of games
- Call of Duty (2003)
- Call of Duty 2 (2005)
- Call of Duty 3 (2006)
- Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (2007)
- Call of Duty: World at War (2008)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2009)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops (2010)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (2011)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops II (2012)
- Call of Duty: Ghosts (2013)
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (2014)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III (2015)
- Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (2016)
- Call of Duty: WWII (2017)
- Modern Warfare 2: Ghost (2009)
- Find Makarov: Operation Kingfish (2011)
- Soap's Journal (2011)
- Rightful King (2012)
- Devil's Breath (2013)
- Aim Down Sights (2014)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III (comic) (2015)
- CourtOptic2055.com (2015)
Games in order of release
- ↑ September 18, 2013rd Forbes article 
- ↑ http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/activision-wants-to-reclaim-grand-theft-auto-v-s-sales-records/0122738
- ↑ http://variety.com/2015/digital/news/call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-top-game-of-2014-overall-industry-sales-flat-1201406492/
- ↑ http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/11/11/call-of-duty-black-ops-3-is-the-biggest-entertainment-launch-of-2015
- ↑ http://www.gamespot.com/articles/call-of-duty-infinite-warfare-is-already-the-us-to/1100-6446333/
- ↑ https://charlieintel.com/2016/02/11/call-of-duty-has-surpassed-over-15-billion-in-sales-since-2003-launch-bo3-season-pass-sales-rate-highest-in-franchise-history/
- ↑ Advertisements for Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare could be seen throughout season 1 in Buy More, and some of the Buy More employees even played a multiplayer match once. Plus, a beta for Call of Duty: World at War was seen in an episode as well.
- ↑ 
- ↑ Kids can be seen playing the Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare mission "Death From Above" in an episode.
- ↑ On November 10th, 2009 episode of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, the day of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2's release, Aasif Mandvi reminisced about how at the 40th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall he gave news coverage while under attack by "Nazi zombies". He appeared to be holding a Double-barreled shotgun.
- ↑ Breaking Bad season 4, episode 2, entitled "Thirty-Eight Snub".
- ↑ Koening says that because he must stay in the base he is in that "he gets to rack up lots of time in Call of Duty" and then asks Coulson if he plays Call of Duty in the episode "Providence". Coulson replies that he does. In another episode, Sam and one of his brothers have a conversation about having played "C.O.D.", and that one was spawn killing the other constantly in "Black Ops".
- ↑ In the last episode of the second season, Kyle says to Soren about wanting to play Call of Duty 4 on PlayStation when he gets home.
- ↑ It is mentioned in an episode that someone played a Call of Duty game for "48 hours straight", and that he got "40 killstreaks and eight Gold Camos" while drunk on Farrell Wine.
- ↑ In the fifth season, William Conway can be seen playing the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered mission "The Bog" using a Gear VR
- ↑ November 23rd, 2009 episode of X-Play.
- ↑ Following the complete destruction of a barn by an AC-130, Agent Lynch remarks "Wow. That's awesome. Looks just like Call of Duty, doesn't it?".
- ↑ Roadblock and Duke are playing Survival Mode of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
- ↑ In Episode 8, the player is given the option to "Press F to Pay Respects" at a fallen policeman's grave.