- "Remote camera view that is toggled on and off with "equipment" button."
- — Create-a-Class 2.0 description
|Cost (Black Ops)|
Call of Duty: Black OpsEdit
The Camera Spike allows the player to see anything in front of it using thermal imaging in a box at the top left corner of the player's HUD, replacing the mini-map. To the contrary of what has been shown in gameplay footage, the mini map is not permanently replaced by the camera feed and can be toggled by pressing the equipment button. The area that the camera covers is dictated by the player's facing (both horizontal and vertical) when it is placed. The camera spike can be destroyed by melee or bullets. If the player is dissatisfied with the placement of the Camera Spike, it can be picked up and replaced somewhere else, and unlike turrets, is simply placed back into the player's inventory.
- A common use of the camera spike is to place it behind the player's lookout to detect any enemies coming their way. However it depends on the angle and elevation of the camera spike itself. A good position is very much beneficial in preemptive counter strikes on the player's attacker. E.g. at the stairs of a building in Nuketown, aiming it between the hall of the room and the stairs itself, making the camera spike less visible and prone to attacks if placed at the corner, while the player takes out enemies from the windows.
- The camera spike can also be used as bait. However, this tactic should not be used if another piece of equipment is available or if a safe spot to camp can be reached safely.
- Camera Spikes can be used near objectives to prevent being surprised by enemy locations.
- Players can deploy one near their turrets so they can keep an eye on them.
- The camera spike is useful in hardcore, since the player usually will not have a minimap.
- If the camera spike is destroyed, it will still alert the player to the presence of the destroyer unless shot from long range.
- Players will tend to shoot the camera spike, and players can use this as a distraction.
- Players using the Ghost Pro perk will be undetected by the Camera Spike.
- Camera Spike is the first item in all of the Call of Duty Series that replaces the mini-map feed instead of hiding or covering it up.
- Players can hack enemy's Camera Spikes and to use it for themselves through hacking it using the Hacker Pro Perk, but if hacked the player cannot choose to turn it off unless the camera is destroyed.
- In the first reveal trailer the Camera Spike was taller than it currently is. This change was most likely made to reduce exposure.
- To position the Camera Spike in a certain Y-axis direction, the player must simply look up or down according to where they want the camera to point.
- The Camera Spike, unfortunately, is not available in the Wii version, mostly due to RAM limitations.
- On the side of the box near the bottom of the camera, the word 'KampTek' is written.
- The Camera Spike cannot be used in Split-Screen mode, both offline and online.
- The Camera Spike's camera resembles the one on top of the Sentry Gun.
- While holding the Camera Spike, the player will sprint faster.
- If an enemy calls in Attack Dogs , the dogs will be undetected by the camera spike.