In Call of Duty: Black Ops, Contracts are designed to assist the player in leveling up as they offer potential rewards of CODPoints and experience Points (on some) for completing certain challenges within a provided time limit.
Contracts also reappear in Call of Duty: Black Ops III. They were added in the May 6th update.
Contracts are available for purchase from the multiplayer menu with CODPoints. Different contracts have different goals, such as achieving a certain number of killstreak rewards, or earning a certain amount of kills with a specific weapon. Contracts will reward players upon completion with CODPoints, Experience points, or a combination of the two. The higher in difficulty the contract has the bigger output of CODPoints or Experience points the player will receive upon completion.
Once players accept any contract, they have a certain amount of time to fulfill it. This is generally either forty minutes or an hour, depending on the difficulty and type of the contract. The timer only counts down when the player is in an active part of the game. Time spent dead waiting to respawn in games with delayed spawns, such as Search and Destroy or Capture the Flag does not run down this time limit. Also, contracts only applicable to one mode will not expire while playing a different mode. For example, players will not lose time on a Team Deathmatch Contract if they are playing a game of Domination. Contracts are not carried across playlists, either, so a Team Deathmatch contract will not expire if the player plays a Team Deathmatch game on the Barebones or Hardcore playlists.
There are three different categories of Contracts:
Mercenary contracts involve achieving kills and killstreaks in general or kills with a specific gun.
Operations contracts involve match related objectives (such as "Win two games of Capture the Flag").
Players can have no more than three Contracts, one from each category, active at any time. Selecting a new Contract removes an existing Contract of the respective category; should the contract be incomplete, the player's CODPoints are not refunded. The available set of Contracts changes each day, and completed or expired contracts reset hourly. This means that a player can complete the same contract multiple times within a day before that set of contracts change. Purchased Contracts can still be completed after this daily update as long as the time spent alive in-game has not run out. It is important to note that there are no contracts for classified weapons. However, the player can still use them to complete contracts that involves their weapon type.
Also, the player cannot buy a weapon-specific contract if the weapon is not unlocked, but the player can if the weapon is unlocked but not bought.
Call of Duty: Black OpsEdit
Contracts for getting kills with or without a specific weapon/attachment/Perk and killstreaks.
Contracts for specific game modes and playlists.
Contracts for headshots, secondary weapons, Grenades, and special objectives.
Call of Duty: Black Ops IIIEdit
- Victory: Win 5 Games.
- Search and Destroy: Win 3 Search and Destroy Games.
- Safeguard: Win 3 Safeguard Games.
- Team Deathmatch: Win 3 Team Deathmatch Games.
- Domination: Win 3 Domination Games.
- Hardpoint: Win 3 Hardpoint Games.
- Uplink: Win 3 Uplink Games.
- Kill Confirmed: Win 3 Kill Confirmed Games.
- Return on Investment: Earn 200 Score using Scorestreaks.
- Kill Collector: Get 125 Kills.
- Killjoy: Kill an enemy while they are using a Specialist Ability or Weapon 3 times.
- Score: Get 10,000 Score.
- Weapons Hot: Get 10 Kills using Specialist Weapons.
- Incoming: Get 5 Kills using Scorestreaks.
- Strategist: Get 10 Medals using Specialist Abilities.
- Headhunter: Get 10 Headshots.
- Assault Rifles: Get 100 Kills using Assault Rifles.
- Assault: Kill 10 defenders in objective games.
- Defender: Kill 15 attackers in objective games.
- Submachine Guns: Get 100 SMG Kills.
- Overloaded: Get 100 kills using a weapon with 4 or more Attachments.
Reward: 10 Cryptokeys
- Deadly: Get 25 Specialist Weapon Kills.
- Full Strategy: Get 25 Medals from Specialist Abilities
- Contract Killer: Get 500 Kills.
- High Powered: Get 25 Scorestreak Kills
- Total Victory: Win 20 Games
- Aggressive: Kill 100 Attackers and/or Defenders in Objective Games
- Objective Player: Win 15 Objective Games
- Scorekeeper: Get 50,000 Score
Rewards: 30 Cryptokeys + 1 Mercenary Contract
- Total Victory: Win 75 games from the time this contract was issued. No time limit. Reward: Bundle of 10 Rare Supply Drops, 1 Weapon Bribe (guaranteed melee or ranged weapon).
- Mercenary Contract: Purchase a Mercenary Contract and use it to activate Blackjack in the Specialist menu. Cost: 90 Cryptokeys.
- Calling Card Contract: Earn 1 Calling Card from each sub-Contract. Complete all 6 and unlock a bonus animated Calling Card.
- Tools of the Trade: Get 200 kills with Specialist Weapons. Reward: Underworld Camo.
- Triple Played: For a limited time only, activate "Triple Played" and win 100 games to earn your reward. Rewards: Bundle of 10 Rare Supply Drops, 1 Ranged and 1 Melee Weapon Bribe.
- Grand Slammed: For a limited time, activate "Grand Slammed" and win 125 games to earn your reward. Rewards: 20 Rare Supply Drop Bundle, (No Dupes) 20 Liquid Divinium, 1 Camo Bribe and 1 Three-of-a-Kind Weapons Bribe.
- Road to Champs: As a community, win a total of 350,000,000 matches. Rewards: Calling Cards and Prizefighters Melee Weapon.
- Headshot Challenge: Work together to amass a total of HALF a BILLION headshots. Rewards: Calling Cards and Limited Edition Dragon Fire Camo.
- The contracts available to be purchased are changed every 24 hours.
- The contract "Smells like...Victory" is a reference to the movie Apocalypse Now.
- If the player buys a contract, but then replaces it with another, the first one bought will be counted as expired.
- The Wii contains only around 30 contracts in all at one time - this is likely due to unnecessary RAM it would use.
- The contract "My Little Friend" is a reference to the movie Scarface, where Al Pacino's character says "Say hello to my little friend!" while holding an M203.
- The contract "Machine Gun Lamia" is a reference to Mark Lamia, an employee at Treyarch.
- When changing prestige level, all active contracts will be deactivated. However, they are not counted as expired.
- Contracts are not affected by Double XP Weekend.