Call of Duty: Black OpsEdit
|Cost (Black Ops)||1500|
|Maximum Ammunition||3 (with Warlord Pro)|
- "Distraction device that simulates enemy gunfire and radar indicators."
- — Create-A-Class 2.0's description of the Decoy Grenade
The Decoy is a grenade which, when thrown, simulates gunfire sounds and creates radar indicators - red dots on the enemy mini-map; similar green dots for friendlies. The grenade does do damage when it is going off if it touches a player.
The Decoy's gunfire sounds and patterns are random, although a lot of the time they simulate the sound of automatic Uzi and semi-automatic CZ75 gunfire. The grenade also bounces wildly on the ground, in order to simulate enemy movement. It eventually explodes, sending cartridges flying in several directions and discharging simultaneously, which appears on the map as players firing upon one another.
Decoys are very useful for setting up traps. For example, if a player sets up a claymore by a doorway, and then throws down a decoy, this will be a very easy way to get a kill.
Decoys are also a good way to draw the fight to a new section of the map. For example, if a player throws all of their Decoys into an area during a quiet or slow part of the match, it is almost guaranteed that both friendlies and enemies will rush to that area.
Decoys are also a good way to confuse the enemy. For example, if the player is wounded and surrounded, they can throw one or more Decoys to trick the enemies into thinking that they are under attack from a different area. As well, if the enemy has a Blackbird in the air, throwing a decoy makes another red arrow appear on the enemy's radar. If an entire team throws a decoy during an enemy Blackbird, the results can be quite amusing. Another trick like this is to take the Ghost perk (and preferably for player to add a suppressor on all weapons) and throw decoys during Spy Planes. As the player will not appear on radar, but player's Decoy will, it is more likely to fool enemies.
Decoys are great in "bomb planting" game modes. Player can throw the decoy where the other bomb site is or an area far away from where the player is planting at. The other team will run there and the player freely plant the bomb without any problems. Player needs to be sure that he/she has the perk Ghost on, to avoid Spy Planes.
Another tactic with the Decoy grenades is to use a sniper rifle, and player should throw it somewhere on the map that he/she is targeting, so he/she can lure enemies into a kill-zone.
Call of Duty: Black OpsEdit
- Decoy grenades can kill enemy players but for it to work the enemy must be standing on the decoy while it simulates gunfire. This is also true for the AIs in Combat Training.
- Decoys show up as red triangles on an opponents mini map when a Blackbird is up.
- Despite being listed a tactical grenade, when the Decoy self destructs, the team's announcer will say that the player's equipment has been destroyed. Same goes for the Tomahawk.
- Decoy Grenades will not work if thrown too far outside the map boundary but will work if thrown into a location which is normally inaccessible to the player, such as on top of a building.
- Decoy Grenades will also not work after the player respawns and therefore must throw a new set of grenades.