|Appears in||Call of Duty: World at War |
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Call of Duty: Black Ops III
|Type||Experimental Research group|
|Engagements||World War II|
|Active||Before 1945 - present|
|Level||Shi No Numa|
Der Eisendrache (mentioned only)
Zetsubou No Shima
Division 9 (Japanese: 師団9) is a Japanese scientific research group, allied with the German research organization Group 935 in the discovery and research of Element 115. Their headquarters is based out in the Rising Sun facility, but they also have other research stations, notably one in a remote Pacific island.
In the original timeline, Division 9 was the original creator of the Ray Gun design blueprint, which was later retrieved by Group 935 leader Ludvig Maxis, leading to its full creation. However, their Rising Sun facility in Japan had become infested by the undead after the discovery of Element 115 on the site, eventually becoming overrun.
In the alternate timeline after the original was erased, Division 9 has been conducting research on an unknown specimen of a creature in collaboration with Group 935, which they intend to deploy upon the battlefield at the Eastern Front by Winter 1945. At some point, the original Takeo Masaki was sent by the Emperor to investigate the Division's activities, but he unknowingly became one of their many prisoners of war. It is later revealed that the original Takeo was the massive specimen Division 9 mentioned, with the young original characters eventually reversing the effects of the mutation, saving older Takeo. Older Takeo then proceeds to commit seppuku as Richtofen preserves his soul with the Summoning Key.
Several of their dragon blueprints can be found in the basement of the Hatchery in Gorod Krovi, as well as their dragons flying high above Stalingrad.
- Original Timeline Takeo Masaki; undercover agent (K.I.A.) - Former undercover member sent to the Division 9 island based facility by the Emperor of Japan before being captured. Commits seppuku while his young self does kaishakunin to him.
- Peter McCain (K.I.A.) - An undercover Group 935 member sent in to investigate the Rising Sun facility.
- In Japanese superstitions, the number 9 is considered an unlucky number, as nine is pronounced "ku" in Japanese, which has the same pronunciation as agony or torture.
- Division 9 seems to be loosely based off the Japanese biological weapons research group Unit 731.
- In Revelations, there are scientist zombies that have the Division 9 logo on their uniforms.