|Tier 2 Perk|
Level 29 (Call of Duty 4)
Double Tap is a second tier perk in Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and Call of Duty: World at War that decreases the delay between bullets by one third of the original delay, effectively increasing rate of fire by 33%. It has no practical effect on most semi-automatic weapons and to players who do not have a fast trigger finger (such as the SVT-40, G3, or M14). Some slower firing weapons such as the M1 Garand and the M1014 may benefit noticeably from this perk. Weapons that benefit most from the perk include Bolt Action Rifles, as the cycling of their bolts is increased, leading to a higher rate of fire from the weapon. Pump action shotguns benefit also, as the rate at which the shotgun is pumped is increased.
Double Tap functions best on slow firing automatic weapons with high damage. Examples of this are the M60E4 and the DP-28. It can also be used to a certain extent on weapons with already high rates of fire such as the P90 and the PPSh-41, to create weapons with incredible amounts of fire power.
A disadvantage of the perk is that it can increase the recoil on guns, which can make them uncontrollable. For this reason, it may be advisable to get as close as possible to the enemy before firing, in order to have the largest chance of hitting them. Steady Aim can be used in conjunction with Double Tap to help reduce the recoil when hip firing. Another disadvantage is that it empties a weapon's magazine faster and uses up more ammunition. Because of this, Bandolier is an advised perk to have with Double Tap, to compensate.
Using a bolt action rifle with a sniper scope with double tap makes it an extremely effective way to take out multiple enemy's at longer ranges at lower levels as they may not have/want to use the PTRS-41. However, as stopping power cannot be used with double tap, follow up shots may be harder to if an enemy is shot at the wrong place. Placing shots carefully can get much easier to do if enough time is put into practice.
Old School ModeEdit
Double Tap appears as a perk in Old School Mode. It is one of the 6 perks available.
- Backlot - located in the north-eastern corner of the large two story building in the centre of the map, near the R700.
- Double Tap has an effect on the turrets of Tanks in Call of Duty: World at War.
- Like the Deep Impact perk, the Call of Duty: World at War icon shows the complete cartridge being fired, instead of just the bullet.
- While the rate of pumping on pump action shotguns is increased, the first pump after a reload remains at the same speed as before.
- Double tap is a reference to the shooting technique of the same name.