This is a glossary of various player terminology, seen in varying levels of usage among players. Since slang and acronyms are always being invented, along with new games, this list will never be truly complete.
Please note: Any terms on this page must be well-known, free of offending content, and as clear-cut as possible. All terms must be related to Call of Duty or Call of Duty Wiki explicitly. Other online terminology can be found on Urban Dictionary.
- 360: When the player spins 360 degrees, i.e. a full circle. May also refer to Xbox 360.
- 3arc: Treyarch.
- 402: Robert Bowling's nickname.
- AEAE: Short for "All editors are equal", a policy on the wiki.
- AfD: Short for "Articles for Deletion", a project page on the wiki.
- Ace: When one player kills every opponent as "last man standing" in a Search and Destroy game.
- BB: Short for "Be bold", a guideline on the wiki.
- Baby Gun: Slang for 31-79 JGb215.
- BEL: Behind Enemy Lines, a game mode in Call of Duty.
- Blops: Call of Duty: Black Ops.
- Blops2: Call of Duty: Black Ops II.
- BO: Call of Duty: Black Ops.
- BO2: Call of Duty: Black Ops II.
- Boosting: The act of two or more players collaborating through dishonest methods in ranked multiplayer lobbies to gain in-game rewards, such as camouflages. Can be reported for in Call of Duty: Black Ops, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 and Call of Duty: Black Ops II.
- Camping: The act of staying in one specific area of a map (usually a corner or a building) while waiting for enemies to come into visual range. Often frowned upon.
- Camper: A term used for someone who camps.
- Christmas Noob: Refers to the wave of inexperienced players who get a Call of Duty game on Christmas.
- Clutch: A situation in which a player makes a last stroke to win the match while losing by many points.
- Also used to refer to the act of the last player alive in a match of Search and Destroy winning a round by defusing the bomb while enemies are alive.
- CoD: Call of Duty.
- Collateral: When the player gets multiple kills with a single sniper rifle shot.
- CT: Combat Training.
- Crawler: A zombie that has had its leg(s) blown off, resulting it moving very slowly and giving players time to do vital things without threat. This term can also be used to refer to Crawler Zombies.
- DBAD: Short for "Don't be a dick", a policy on the wiki.
- DDD: Short for Don't delete discussions, a policy on the wiki.
- Deagle: Short for Desert Eagle.
- Demo: Short for Demolition gametype.
- DFTT: Short for "Don't feed the trolls", a sub-policy on the wiki.
- DM: Deathmatch, a multiplayer game mode.
- Dolphin Dive: Slang for Dive to Prone.
- Dropshot: Going prone immediately upon encountering an enemy in close quarters combat in order to avoid gunfire while shooting.
- FA: Short for "Featured Article", a project page on the wiki.
- FFA: Free-for-All.
- FNG: Fucking New Guy
- GL: Short for Grenade Launcher.
- GWK: Game winning kill, showcased in the final killcam.
- Hardscope: Slang (often derogatory) for using a sniper rifle 'properly', as opposed to quickscoping or trickshotting.
- Head glitching: The act of using shoulder height cover to give a full view of target; whereas the target is limited to only the top of the enemy's head to shoot.
- Hitmarker: A visual indicator (a small X-like figure in the middle of the screen) that appears when the player damages an enemy (or teammate, if friendly fire is turned on). Usually only appears in multiplayer modes. The term is often used for a situation where the player only damaged the enemy without killing them.
- HQ: Headquarters.
- Holo: Holographic Sight.
- HBS: Short for Heartbeat Sensor.
- ID: Short for "Improvement Drive", a project page on the wiki.
- IRC: Internet Relay Chat, on Call of Duty Wiki often refers to the IRC channel.
- IW: Infinity Ward.
- Javelin glitch: A former highly known glitch where a player could exploit the Javelin to create a massive explosion upon death (similar to the effects of Dead Man's Hand).
- Jug/Jugg/Jugs: Short for Juggernog or Juggernaut.
- Jumpshot: Jumping when encountering an enemy to evade incoming fire and shooting at the enemy simultaneously.
- KD or K/D: Kill to death ratio.
- Killcam: The game-winning or final kill of the match, which is usually displayed for all members of the lobby to see.
- Marty: Short for Martyrdom.
- Mic/Mike: Short for microphone.
- MW: Stands for games in the Modern Warfare series, commonly with the game's number at the end (e.g. "MW2" for Modern Warfare 2).
- Newbie: A player that is new to the game and inexperienced, not necessarily used as a derogatory term.
- Ninja Defuse: Act of stealthily defusing a bomb soon after an enemy plants it in Search and Destroy. A medal is rewarded to the player for doing so in any Modern Warfare game.
- Noob: A derogatory form of "newbie", usually used to insult new players and those who use easy and "cheap" tactics, such as camping or using the most powerful weapon available.
- Noob tube: Derogatory term used to express resentment toward grenade launchers which are relatively easy to use.
- No-scope: Getting a kill with a sniper rifle by hip-firing.
- NUW: Short for "New User Welcomer", a retired usergroup on the wiki.
- OMA: One Man Army.
- OP/Overpowered: An in-game feature (such as a weapon) that is extremely effective, typically so much that it affects the overall balance of the game.
- Panic knife: The act of instinctively, or purposely knifing an enemy extremely close to the player without thought.
- PaP: Short for Pack-a-Punch.
- Quickscoping/QS: An act where a player aims down the sights (typically with a sniper rifle), shoots just as it is scoped in, and scopes out immediately.
- Quad: Four rapid kills.
- Ragequit: Ending or leaving a game mid-way because of anger toward the game or current situation.
- RCP: Short for Recent Changes Patroller, a usergroup on the wiki.
- Reload cancel: Cancelling a reload by momentarily sprinting, quickly switching weapons or meleeing before the animation is completed (but the gun is technically reloaded) to cut off the 'unnecessary' animation time from the reload.
- Ricochet Rules: Game mode which, in the event of a player friendly-firing at a team-mate, all damage will be returned to the player firing.
- RfA/RfB: Short for "Request for adminship/bureaucrat", a project page on the wiki.
- S&D/SnD: Search & Destroy, a multiplayer game mode.
- Shrink Ray: A nickname used by many players for the 31-79 JGb215, due to its complicated name.
- Tac Insert/Tac/TI: Short for Tactical Insertion.
- Tac Knife: Short for Tactical Knife.
- TDM: Team Deathmatch.
- TK: Team Kill or Team Killing.
- Trickshot: Doing different actions such as weapon switching and random spinning, and eventually proceeding to trying to get a kill with a sniper rifle.
- UotM: Short for "User of the Month", a project page on the wiki.
- UTP: Short for "User Treatment Policy", a policy on the wiki.