It became a ranked online gamemode on the December 16th, 2011, and was the first gamemode in the Community Playlist. It was removed on February 5, 2012, when it was replaced by Infected. Due to negative community reaction to its removal, it was returned to the Community Playlist on February 7, 2012. As of the May 15, 2012 update, the only map Drop Zone has is Dome. However, due to another update all the maps have returned to Drop Zone.
In Drop Zone, two teams must fight over a moving location on the map (marked with Care Package Marker smoke) to gain points. It differentiates itself from an ordinary King of the Hill gametype, however, with the addition of Care Packages as a reward for successfully holding on to the point. Approximately every 15 seconds a team holds a zone, a Care Package, an Airdrop Trap, an Emergency Airdrop (notably NOT normally available under other circumstances), or a Juggernaut/Juggernaut Recon delivered via C-130 will be called automatically on the drop zone. To win, either one team must reach the score limit, or else the victor is determined by who has the most points when time is up.
Each team member within the drop zone area adds 20 points per second to his team's score; this is cumulative with other team members for a possible maximum of 120 points/second. The first team to 7500 points is the winner.
Each drop zone is marked by thick red smoke, making it somewhat difficult to distinguish targets inside or outside of the area without using the Marksman perk. Usage of grenades/explosives is quite heavy among players. Therefore, Blast Shield, Trophy System, even the Riot Shield can be useful to counter the explosives.
Players cannot earn killstreaks or specialist perks that are selected on their classes.
In some instances, the location of the next drop zone can be predicted. For instance, the second drop zone in Resistance will always be at the bottom of the steps. Additionally, the drop zones will always rotate in cycles and once every drop zone has appeared for one minute, it will ALWAYS revert back the first, center one. It is worth noting that different maps have varying numbers of drop zone locations. For example, Dome has five locations while Resistance has seven. The rotating locations in Terminal is always fixed in the same order, so it is strategic to shift locations in the last few seconds of the drop zone in order to take an early advantage.
- It is still possible to obtain a M.O.A.B. in this gamemode, making it the only pointstreak that can be earned by normal means on Drop Zone.
- It is still possible to shoot down opposing care package choppers. This is also the easiest way to earn Blind Eye Pro and it challenges, as well as one of the fastest ways to level up by racking up 300exp every 15 seconds by shooting them down. This strategy usually works when your team is ahead by a lot and the enemy is holding the point.
- The starting location of the drop zone is always set, but the remaining drop zones are randomized in order between several predetermined positions, depending on the map.
- This mode is the only possible way to receive an Emergency Airdrop in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3.
- ↑ https://twitter.com/#!/fourzerotwo/status/147525324853354496
- ↑ http://callofduty.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Drkdragonz66/Drop_Zone_returning_to_Community_Playlists!
- ↑ https://sites.google.com/site/mw3dropzone/