After a failed discussion to delete the Zombie Strategy pages here, I thought it seemed sensible to completely re-write them. Most of the strategies, particularly those relating to Der Riese and Kino der Toten, are nigh on identical to each other. For example, several Der Riese strategies involve camping on the catwalk, and "Five" has at least 2 "strategies" which revolve around camping in the PaP room.
- "According to the box, you most definitely want a thundergun and some monkey bombs."
"I suggest to learn guessing how many MP40-shots a zombie will survive"
- — Some of the rubbish on the strategies page for Kino
What I propose we do is:
- Clear out the duplicate strategies. This is a no-brainer, and would instantly remove 50% of the problem.
- Put the strategies in some form of order. I suggest number of players the strategy is for (solo, 4 players, split-screen, etc.)
- Turn the strategies from walls of text to simple, easy-to-follow instructions.
While some users think they are useless and should be deleted, a fair number of users and anons find them helpful and this idea is a compromise between deleting and keeping them
Though it may seem obvious to some (yet nobody every puts it to use), a point-form style may be much more suited to the cause.00:07, February 17, 2011 (UTC)
A list of more points that may be of use:
- Keep it well organized, showing the process of the strategy
- making sure the effects of each action are shown (you don't want to leave readers wondering what purpose an action has)
- Utilize proper grammar, spelling, vocabulary (most "strategies" are poorly written, usually in first-person, & are very difficult to understand IMO)
- Diagrams, pictures, where appropriate and in an appropriate manner (ie. use gallery format)
- Brief and to the point (once in a while a writer will add unrelated info such as "teh glitches that i saw so it may interfear"; not needed)
00:17, February 17, 2011 (UTC)
I still think keeping them is a terrible idea anyway.18:12, February 17, 2011 (UTC)
- This would be compromise between keeping them as they are and totally deleting them. Going by Hax's idea above, the walls of text people hate are replaced with bullet pointed, grammatically correct strategies that people can actually use. elmo's ramblings 19:50, February 17, 2011 (UTC)
- Which will all inevitably revert to their extremely filthy, broken ways. 02:28, February 18, 2011 (UTC)
I've been trying my best to fix up the Kino strategy page, but concidering it's only me and anons who edit it, it's tough. The problem lies in the fact most users a) don't give a shit about the pages or b) want it deleted. They just need to b edited more often.04:09, February 19, 2011 (UTC)
- I've made a Sandbox N7 25px 12:43, February 19, 2011 (UTC)
- Thats what I was talking about. elmo's ramblings 14:36, February 19, 2011 (UTC)
- I think that all that is needed is "Solo" and "Multiplayer", because you'll never know when someone might drop out of a 4 person party, causing you to switch tactics mid-round 05:40, February 22, 2011 (UTC)
- the strategies helped me alot although i think that a link to a ign thread for guides or something like that would be better Lildragslayr 21:24, February 24, 2011 (UTC)
I've tried my best to fix up the pages. What does everyone think?23:19, February 26, 2011 (UTC)
N7s idea is pretty good. It may also be a good idea to lock these pages from editing entirely, not just from anons. If someone wants to add any new strategies, they can bring it up on the talk page. The community can then decide if it warrants an entry. Seijana 00:51, March 4, 2011 (UTC)
I think we should go to the pages every day and check if any anons screwed up our work. FabitzFabitz 06:30, March 5, 2011 (UTC)
LIke what an anon did to my revamp of Five/Strategies. And IMO, the problem is that most users don't edit the pages, they just complain about the bad quality of them. 19:20, March 5, 2011 (UTC)
azuris_ 00:35, April 23, 2011 (UTC)