Hi everyone. I am looking at some pages recently, and it must have been a long time, because there are now some pages that have more top right icons that can fit on a single line. Such an example is Iron Sights, which has the characteristic of showing up in all games for obvious reason.
I want to know of your ideas of what to do in situations like this. Would it be safe to remove top right icons from pages where the subject appears in all games? It would go a long way in making the page look neater I feel.04:45, December 28, 2016 (UTC)
Support — - Or even a set of simplified icons for Treyarch, Infinity Ward, Sledgehammer and Raven games if they appear in all of those but not another. 04:47, December 28, 2016 (UTC)
NOTE - How about merging top right icons into one if some parts of the franchise are part of a equal or set? Foe example, there exists 3 Modern Warfare games and 3 Black Ops series games, instead of having 6 icons, why not reduce it to 2: One for "Modern Warfare Series" and another for "Black Ops Series" and similar? For games which came before CoD4 Modern Warfare, they can go in the "Call of Duty: Classics" series, all of them themed after World War 2? This way we can cut them down in half.
- So some sort of consolidation? For sure that is a good idea too. We now have two consolidation proposals; one to consolidate with respect to developer, one to consolidate with respect to era/series. I can see either one working.
06:08, December 28, 2016 (UTC)
- I'd be down for consolidating them down into one that just links back to the pages for each subseries. That'll be a good way to help reduce the clutter. And for things that appear in every game, I do agree that it should just be removed, or maybe just have one icon that links back to the page for the series as a whole. Conqueror of all Zombies (talk) 09:31, December 28, 2016 (UTC)
- I am honestly not sure. I haven't had much time to think about that but I would imagine it's not too many, but still worth taking a look at. 16:09, December 28, 2016 (UTC)
Support — i overall agree with all of the previous proposals, except the one for considering all the ww2 games as the "call of duty classics" series, since its not really a series. We could change this idea and make it be timelines rather than game series instead as well. i think it should go something like this: individual games if its not in a whole timeline, timeline(s) if it appears in a whole timeline, developer(s) if it appears in all games by a certain developer (excluding developers who only made one game), and no template at all if it appears in all games in the series. RisingSun2018 (RisingSun's Talk Page ☀ Blog Posts ☀ Contributions) 01:58, December 29, 2016 (UTC)
- We could always link it back to the page of the series a whole if it appears in every game. Conqueror of all Zombies (talk) 08:22, January 2, 2017 (UTC)
Support — I think staple features of Call of Duty games like the iron sights example you gave need not have the top right icons. That being said, I think it'd be appropriate to make an icon for these articles to indicate that the subject of that article appears in all Call of Duty games if somebody was willing to make it, but simply removing the top right icons is good for now and it wouldn't be detrimental in any capacity if an icon like I suggested didn't come to fruition.02:00, January 14, 2017 (UTC)
Since this forum has been a bit stagnant, I'd like to start discussion again with a few questions/concerns:
- How long will the process take?
- Can this task be done by one of the Wiki's bots?
- If we follow through with NotLessOrEqual's suggestion, would we need to create new icons or use pre-existing ones?
Support — Pretty common sense stuff, I think. That said, how many articles are actually affected by this? It seems like the majority of pages cited as examples so far are such that the icons could be removed entirely. I don't think they serve that much purpose on pages that are so broad in scope. Joe Copp 00:35, May 4, 2017 (UTC)
Moving to a voteEdit
Seems like everyone is in favor of workshopping the icons, and to that end we have a few options. Option 1 is to consolidate all top right icons into groups by developer. Option 2 is to consolidate them by series/timeline, e.g. WWII, Black Ops, MW, etc. Option 3 is to remove them completely from articles that are affected by this issue, since the subjects of those examples are typically seen in most/every game. Joe 00:48, June 2, 2017 (UTC)
- Support — I feel like this is the most future-proof solution. Joe 00:48, June 2, 2017 (UTC)
- Support — Per Joe. After reading this over, this option would indicate what's trying to be indicated but save much more space. P90Deathman01:41, June 2, 2017 (UTC)
- Support — This feels a bit more specific than just lumping everything under a developer. It also falls more in line with what we currently do, and would be more uniform with things that appear consistently with one sub-series, but not so much with another. Conqueror of all Zombies (talk) 07:25, June 2, 2017 (UTC)
- Support — Per CoaZ. 10:23, August 26, 2017 (UTC)
- Support — What CoaZ said. A "this subject appeared in Treyarch games" is not really as specific and describing as "this subject appeared in WW2 games". Something that's kind of tied to a developer, such as 3arc's Zombies, usually already has its own page separate from other devs' implementation. There are also more timelines than dev teams (what, 3 main dev teams and 2-3 assisting ones as opposed to 8 timelines) to be more descriptive, but not enough to cause a bloat like the per-game issue at hand. -- laagone (talk) 08:55, May 23, 2018 (UTC)
While I am overall in favor of option 2, will we consider what RisingSun said and for the earlier titles keep those icons separate rather than consolidated into one big WWII icon? Also, bump.07:46, July 10, 2018 (UTC)