|The subject matter of this article was cut from the final version of a Call of Duty game.|
Global Thermonuclear War is a removed multiplayer gametype in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. Each side fights to capture a Tactical Nuke in the middle of the map. Once a team has captured it, a countdown automatically starts, and lasts 40 seconds. When the countdown ends, the nuke explodes, killing all players on the map and winning the game for the team that captured the nuke. For a team to capture the nuke, players have to be in the area around the nuke. For every second in that area, a point is given to that player's team. Once 100 points have been scored by one team the countdown begins.
Global Thermonuclear War is a game mode only accessible through modding. A Hardcore variant also exists.
- There is a Title in Modern Warfare 2 with the text "Global Thermonuclear War". To earn it, the player must call in two Tactical Nukes.
- Private Matches aren't the only way to play this mode. Joining a modded lobby gives a player access to this gamemode if the lobby's host wishes to activate this gamemode.
- The Nuke appears as a black square on the minimap, this indicates that the mode was cut before a sprite was developed.
- In the Hardened/Prestige edition of the game guide there are pictures and tips relating to Global Thermonuclear War.
- 500 XP points are awarded to the player(s) who are at the nuke site giving the last points.
- In the BradyGames MW2 Strategy guide, there are pictures of a game of Global Thermonuclear War.
- On most maps, with the exception of Highrise and Favela, the objective appears where the B bomb site would appear in Demolition.