|Nickname(s)||"Architect of Stalingrad's misery"|
|Appears in||Call of Duty: World at War|
Call of Duty: Black Ops (mentioned)
|Rank||Generalleutnant (Lieutenant General)|
|Affiliations||Waffen-SS,Wehrmacht, Nazi Germany|
|Killed By||Dimitri Petrenko|
|Death||September 17, 1942, Stalingrad, U.S.S.R.|
- "The mudak in the car is General Heinrich Amsel, architect of Stalingrad's misery."
- — Sgt. Reznov
Lieutenant General Heinrich Amsel served as the commander of a German unit based in the area of Red Square in Stalingrad. Given his rank, he was most likely a divisional commander and given the area that his command building was located, the unit he was in charge of was probably the 79th Infantry Division.
During the German occupation of Stalingrad, Amsel gained infamy for orchestrating brutal massacres against Soviet soldiers and civilians. His role in the occupation led to Sergeant Reznov spending days relentlessly stalking Amsel. It was not until September 17, 1942, after a massacre of soldiers from the 62nd Rifle Division took place, that Reznov enlisted the aid of Private Petrenko in helping him track down and assassinate Amsel.
Initially, Amsel treated the day as any other day - he went about his daily agenda of inspecting the men under his command, but it was not until Red Army soldiers made a push to his headquarters that alerted Amsel enough to cause him to attempt to withdraw to another location. Together with his personal bodyguards, Amsel tried to slip out of his headquarters unnoticed, but during his attempt, he was assassinated by Petrenko.
Amsel was an arrogant, cruel and warlike man. He is described as the architect of Stalingrad's misery. At the end of his life he turns cowardly and runs with a small armed escort in tow. His escort is cut down by the Russians and Dimitri kills him.
Gunslinger (15 / Silver Trophy ) - Assassinate General Amsel with a pistol shot. (Solo only)
- Richtofen's model is based on Amsel's.
- Amsel is German for blackbird.
- No matter how Amsel dies, he still has the same death animation.
- When the player kills Amsel, the gameplay slows down to show him die. It is noted that he cannot be gibbed.
- General Amsel wears the Golden Nazi Party Badge, which was only given to special members of the Nazi Party.
- Amsel's rank insignia and uniform contradict each other. While his uniform (Black Uniform, Nazi Party Arm Band, and Cuffband) are standard to the SS, his officer cap and General's Waffenfarbe are Heer (Army) issue.
- Reznov will comment on Dimitri if Amsel is killed by a sniper, no scope style.
- If the player tries to enter the restaurant where Amsel went at beginning of the level, the player will alert the guards and will be killed by a Panzer tank.
- If the player goes into the building where Amsel went, they will see that it is just a small room with no doors or windows.
- Amsel is mentioned in a file written by Alex Mason and found in Adrienne Smith's account on the CIA database. The file recounts Reznov's actions during World at War.