|Hunter Killer Drone|
- "Infantry deployed drone that seeks out an enemy or vehicle."
- — Scorestreak description
The Hunter Killer Drone is a Scorestreak reward featured in Call of Duty: Black Ops II that requires a scorestreak of 525. The player throws the drone, and then it pursues and kills the nearest enemy player or destroys the nearest enemy scorestreak. It gives the player 25 points per kill and the appropriate number of points if it destroys a Scorestreak equal to what the player would get using a rocket or Black Hat. It reuses the crosshairs of the Ballistic Knife.
The Hunter Killer Drone can acquire enemies extremely quickly, which can be helpful in an intense firefight. A loud beeping sound is heard if the Hunter Killer has acquired a target. Keep in mind that the Drone can still kill the user if it explodes close to them, so aiming perpendicular to the ground is recommended. If the player needs to target a certain objective, such as a Counter-UAV or a Guardian, simply aim at the target and throw it when the light on the Drone turns red, meaning that it has been targeted.
It can be hard to avoid the Drone and most do not survive the encounter with the Drone. The Tier 1 perk Blind Eye overrides the Hunter Killer Drone entirely, however it can still kill if the player is caught in its blast radius if it was targeting a teammate or another Scorestreak. Flak Jacket can prove invaluable in protecting oneself from the Drone, however, if it is close enough, it can still kill, so it is advised to run to cover when the Drone is beginning its dive. If players time it right however, they can dodge the Drone by diving to prone when it starts its dive towards them. The player still takes damage, but not enough to kill unless already critically injured. They can also be intercepted by EMP Grenades, an EMP Systems, and Trophy Systems, however, they cannot be destroyed with bullets, rockets or the Black Hat.
- Despite being an aerial Scorestreak, it cannot be locked onto with FHJ-18 AA, Black Hat or SMAW.
- A Hunter Killer Drone will cancel its dive if it loses sight of its target. However, it can still crash into obstacles and miss the target.
- If it cannot find a target, it will continue flying above the map for a duration until it explodes.
- If the player destroys a Hunter Killer Drone, they will be rewarded with the Rejected Medal.
- Several Hunter Killer Drones can be found in the multiplayer map Vertigo.
- Hunter Killer Drones will target all scorestreaks except for other Hunter Killer Drones and non targetable ones(E.M.P.s, Hellstorm Missiles and Orbital VSATs). Flares from certain scorestreaks will cause it to miss the target or even cause it to crash into the ground below.
- If a Hunter Killer Drone is flying after an enemy UAV or Counter-UAV and the player has an AA launcher or Black Hat, it would be a good idea to destroy it before the Hunter Killer Drone destroys it. This will not only free your Drone for another interception, but it will have a greater view of the map to choose targets from such a height during it's previous chase.