An Ice Pick is a tool used to climb-up, break-up, pick, or chip at ice. In Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Captain John "Soap" MacTavish and Sgt. Gary "Roach" Sanderson use them in the level Cliffhanger to scale their way up the icy mountain to the hidden base this mission takes place in. The ice axe is also used by Captain "Soap" MacTavish to kill an enemy soldier on a snowmobile.
However, in "Cliffhanger", the player will only be able to use them in the beginning. Afterwards, Roach will automatically take out his Silenced ACR with Heartbeat Sensor and Red Dot Sight attachments losing the ability to use the ice picks in the process.
- If the player doesn't hold on to the wall in "Cliffhanger", on any difficulty, they will fall and die. "Hold on for dear life!" will be shown on the screen instead of the usual random quote. If the player holds on to the ice for too long, it will eventually break up and they will fall. If they are low enough, they will just fall back onto the ledge.
- Ice picks act like a dual-wielding melee weapon, but the player is never given a chance to kill anyone with them. The player can, however, still melee with them if they press the attack button while not climbing. Pressing the melee button will swing both at the same time.
- If the player hits the 'change weapon' button ("Y", "Triangle", or "1 or 2" on the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC respectively) they can take the ice picks out before Roach is scripted to do so before climbing the cliff side.
- The Infinity Ward logo can be seen on the bottom of the ice picks.
- The name, "carina," is written on the side.