13 per second
|Cost (Black Ops)|
- "A gas grenade that blurs vision, impairs movement, and damages health over time."
- — Description of Nova Gas in Create a Class 2.0
The Nova Gas acts similar to Tabun Gas or Stun Grenade, albeit with a damaging effect. Players receive thirteen damage per second spent in the gas, and it takes eight "hits" with the gas for a player with 100% health to die. The gas does however dissipate very quickly so players inside the gas almost never die unless they are already wounded, trapped, or both.
Players with Tactical Mask equipped will not be affected by Nova Gas.
- "Nova Gas" is also the name of a chain of fuel stations in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, as seen on the multiplayer map Salvage, Overgrown, Derail and Sub Base. It was also seen in the level "Wolverines!".
- The pre-release description of the grenade states that the player would begin with two gas grenades; the retail version only allows one, and the description was changed to match. This was probably added to stop the Nova Gas from being "spammed". However, equipping Warlord Pro still gives the player two cans of Nova Gas.
- A thrown Nova canister says "Tabun Gas" on the side. It is most likely a re-textured Tabun Gas from Call of Duty World at War.
- If Nova Gas is thrown into a puddle, the canister will not release the gas. This also applies to Willy Petes.
- If players throw the canister just before game ends and are in the gas radius, when the gas has worn off the HUD will still be on the screen even though the game ended.