|Previous level||Buried (in-game)|
|Next level||Shadows of Evil (in-game)|
The Giant (chronologically by events, timeline jump)
Mob of the Dead (chronologically by date)
|Game||Call of Duty: Black Ops II |
Call of Duty: Black Ops III
|Character||"Tank" Dempsey, Nikolai Belinski, Takeo Masaki, Edward Richtofen|
|Place||Excavation Site 64, Meuse, Lorraine, France|
|Date||June 4th, 1918|
|Objective||Survive endless waves of the undead|
|Enemies||Zombies, Napalm Zombies, Crusader Zombies, Templar Zombies, Panzersoldats|
|Zombies map||Fractured portion in Revelations|
- "Every story has a beginning... and an end."
- — "Origins" trailer
Origins, also known as Excavation Site 64 and Dig Site, is a Zombies map included in the Apocalypse downloadable content for Call of Duty: Black Ops II released on August 27, 2013, for the Xbox 360 and on September 26, 2013, for the PlayStation 3 and PC. It is the seventeenth (chronologically the first in the altered timeline) Zombies level.
A fractured portion of the map is featured in Revelations.
The "original characters" (Dempsey, Nikolai, Richtofen, and Takeo) once again appear as the four playable characters, this time as younger, alternate versions of their original selves, having large differences in their personalities. The zombies have yellow and blue eyes in this map. The map features new Wonder Weapons called the Elemental Staffs that harness the power of the elements, a new enemy, the Panzer Soldat, the Mark IV Tank, a new utility called the Der Wunderfizz and new Power-Ups. Revealed in the cinematic intro of Origins, zombies in typical crusader attire appear, but only spawn at the four entrances to The Crazy Place and the main Excavation Site in the center of the map. Unlike typical zombies, the crusader zombies have blue-violet eyes; the crusader zombies also make different noises than the normal zombies.
Six generators are found across the map, which acts as replacements for the classic Power Switch, and only power the area around it. If they are all powered at once, they activate the reskinned Pack-a-Punch Machine. For the first time, the Mystery Box requires power to be used. The Generators also power perk machines, although there are only five conventional perk machines and there are no machines at Generators 2 and 6. There are no new perks, but rather a machine called Der Wunderfizz, that gives the player a random perk bottle when activated, much like the Mystery box.
The three Giant Robots: Freya, Odin, and Thor (from left to right, facing Generator Five from the excavation site) travel across the map in their respective "lanes" and will instantly down players when they step on them unless the player shoots the glowing foot or the player has a golden helmet.
There are three new power-ups:
- Zombie Blood, which masks the player with Zombie blood, in which they see reddish-orange, get an increased FOV and aren't attacked by Zombies or Panzer Soldats for a short time.
- Blood Money, which is obtained using the Shovel on graves. Blood Money is similar to Bonus Points, as it gives the player a random amount of points between 50-250 when collected.
- The Empty Perk Bottle, which can be found by digging up special dig spots around the map. Upon collecting the power-up, the player that picked it up will gain an extra perk slot, and will then be able to purchase an additional perk.
Buildables also return, featuring four Elemental Staffs (the Staff of Lightning, the Staff of Fire, the Staff of Ice, and the Staff of Wind), the Zombie Shield with a new dieselpunk aesthetic and the Maxis Drone, which is similar to the MQ-27 Dragonfire, only using Dr. Maxis' brain. The Maxis Drone, after deployed, will follow the player, shooting at Zombies and reviving downed players, it also must recharge and be picked up again after each use.
Players can also use shovels at certain spots to dig up certain items. These may hold beneficial items, like a weapon, Power-Up, or staff part. They may also spawn something hazardous, like a Zombie or a live grenade.
- Three new enemies, Crusader Zombies, Templar Zombies, and the Panzer Soldats.
- Three Giant Robots named Thor, Odin, and Freya roam the map. One in No Mans Land, One near the Church, and One near the Trenches.
- A new Utility Vehicle named the Mark IV Tank.
- Five new Buildables: the Maxis Drone and the Elemental Staffs.
- A new "Major" Easter Egg, called Little Lost Girl.
- Challenges are now in Zombies.
- A new way of gaining Perks, the Der Wunderfizz machine.
- Three new Power-Ups: Zombie Blood, Blood Money, and Empty Perk Bottle.
- A Shovel that can be used to dig up Zombies, Weapons, Ice Staff parts, Power-Ups and live grenades. This shovel can be upgraded to the Golden Shovel, after using a certain amount of times.
- The G-Strike, which acts like a more powerful Monkey Bomb.
- The One Inch Punch, a powerful melee weapon, which can be upgraded to the Iron fists during the Main Easter Egg.
- Perk Machines and the Mystery Box are now powered by generators rather than one Power Switch.
|Call of Duty: Black Ops II|
|Call of Duty: Black Ops III|
- Samantha is trapped and needs to be freed.
- A new song, Archangel (sung by Elena Siegman, Malukah & Clark S. Nova), can be activated by pressing the action button in front of three green stone blocks scattered around the map. Locations are:
- In the spawn room right of the ancient chest on the other side of the bunk bed.
- On the second floor of the work station opposite the stairway under a bed.
- On the scaffolding left of the entrance to the Excavation Site entrance facing spawn area next to a crate.
- Another song, Shepherd of Fire (by Avenged Sevenfold), can be activated by pressing the action button in front of three red radios scattered around the map. This is the song that plays in the intro to the map. In the Black Ops III version of the map, the Radio's fronts are removed, showing the inside of the Radio itself.
- Another song, Aether, can be activated by pressing the action button when prone in front of both "1" floor panels at Generator 1 & a "5" at Generator 5 (Generator 5 must be powered on).
- A new song was added into the remastered version, Remember Forever (sung by Tori Letzler), that can be activated by doing these steps:
- There are four wisps on the lowest ring where the staffs can be upgraded in the excavation site that can be only be seen by Zombie Blood. The player must shoot the wisps with each of the four staffs (doesn't need to be upgraded, nor do they have to be in zombie blood to shoot the wisps). Each wisp corresponds to a certain staff; however, the wisps don't reset when a wisp is shot with an incorrect staff, so players can guess without using zombie blood.
- Once all four wisps are shot correctly, go to the crazy place and at the center, there will be a Samantha doll. Pressing the action button near it will then spawn more Samantha dolls placed around the center in a circle. Shoot all of the dolls and a Samantha doll should rise into the air, dropping a Max Ammo, and the song will activate.
Ciphers and Scrap PaperEdit
- Main article: Origins/Ciphers and Scrap Paper
Five ciphers can be found in the map as well as one scrap paper. The ciphers give some backstory to the events before Origins while the scrap paper shows a drawing of Primis.
When zooming in at the burning church with a sniper rifle (such as a DSR 50), a picture of a skull suddenly appears on the player's screen accompanied with a high-pitched scream, similarly to the jumpscare in Mob of the Dead. It can be seen here.
Call of Duty: Black Ops III Edit
A portion of Origins is remade as part of the final map Revelations. The portion represents the player's path from the spawn room to Generator 3, slightly tweaked with a slope leading to the top of the mount. The pathway to underneath the mount is replaced with a tunnel representing Buried, while the door from Generator 3 to the bunker in the middle now leads into the Mob of the Dead portion of the map.
A remastered version of Origins is available on Call of Duty: Black Ops III if the player has purchased the Zombies Chronicles map pack. The map has been designed to look very high quality while still maintaining the look and feel of the original. Differences include new better Zombies artificial intelligence, and futuristic Black Ops III-era weapons are now available in the Mystery Box and the walls instead of the futuristic-Cold War weapons, although the weapons designed for the map returned, as well as the original wonder weapons. The characters are once again the Primis versions of "Tank" Dempsey, Nikolai Belinski, Takeo Masaki and Edward Richtofen.
- Little Lost Girl (75 /Silver Trophy ) - In Origins, release Samantha.
- Not a Gold Digger (5 /Bronze Trophy ) - In Origins, share a weapon you dug up.
- All Your Base (15 /Bronze Trophy ) - In Origins, activate all generators without allowing one to stop.
- Kung Fu Grip (15 /Bronze Trophy ) - In Origins, free yourself and another from the Panzer Soldat's claw in one game.
- Playing with Power (30 /Bronze Trophy ) - In Origins, build all elemental staffs in one game.
- I'm on a Tank! (10 /Bronze Trophy ) - In Origins, ride the tank around the map without getting off.
- Saving the Day... All Day (20 /Bronze Trophy ) - In Origins, revive another player four different ways in one game.
- Master of Disguise (15 /Bronze Trophy ) - In Origins, use Zombie Blood to revive three players and activate a generator in one playthrough.
- Overachiever (25 /Bronze Trophy ) - In Origins, complete all 4 Challenges in one game.
- Master Wizard (40 /Bronze Trophy ) - In Origins, wield all of the ultimate staffs in one game.
|Opening Scene Transcript|
The words Northern France, 1918 appear on the screen before shifting to scenes of various locations across a snow-swept battlefield as a voice narrates.
Samantha: It began long ago, on the battlefields of the Great War.
Samantha: Two German scientists sought to harness dark and mysterious forces buried for centuries. They believed their discoveries would assure Germany's ultimate victory. But they could never have imagined just what else their research would unearth.
Scenes of German excavations are shown, as well as a meteorite of a strange element. In one chamber, three German soldiers wearing gas masks break through a wall. Through the hole, an unseen assailant emerges and surprises them. The figure is revealed to be a Zombie clad in old Crusader regalia. The zombies overwhelm the garrison of German soldiers before emerging from the ruins and onto the battlefield and killing all remaining German forces.
Samantha: As an ancient evil ravaged the front lines, the hopes of the Allies rested on three soldiers set to stop it.
The scene then changes to a crawling zombie being crushed under a tank. Atop the vehicle is Tank Dempsey, kicking a zombie off before jumping off himself and engaging the zombies with an MG 08, soon switching to a knife and a Remington New Model Army revolver.
The three draw their guns on each other before they all point them towards another figure in the room. Dr. Edward Richtofen is seen with a bone saw cutting a dead Ludvig Maxis' head open. He briefly examines his bloody hands, seemingly confused, before the four notice more zombies approaching them through a hole in the wall.
Dempsey, Nikolai, and Takeo aim their guns at the zombies. However, a bright orange light surrounds them as all four look up to see a Giant Robot looking down upon them. It raises its foot as the four dive out of the way, before the Robot stomps down upon the ground, the scene going black. The voice, now revealed to be that of Samantha closes the introduction.
Samantha: My name is Samantha. I'm going to tell you how all this really began.
|Ending Scene Transcript|
A white background appears as Samantha narrates
Samantha: As the gates to Agartha opened, the four heroes were rewarded with riches beyond imagination.
The background then shifts to a close-up view of Samantha's face.
Samantha: From that day forward, they knew that Samantha would keep them safe... forever.
Holding what seems to be an action figure, Samantha turns the figure slowly over to the floor, showing two zombie action figures resembling those from Mob of the Dead and Buried. Samantha knocks it over with her unseen figure, then knocks another cowboy zombie figure down, and just before knocking the cowboy zombie, Group 935's logo can be seen on the wall. The view then shifts to Eddie, who is sitting next to Samantha while holding a figure of Edward Richtofen. The room they are in is covered with several posters. One of the posters is the one seen in Mob of the Dead. There is a chalk outline on the wall resembling the MP40. Next to Eddie, an empty bottle of Juggernog can be seen, as well as a figure of the Panzer Soldat.
Eddie: You're getting everything wrong. I told you before, their eyes should be blue!
Samantha picks up the Nikolai Belinski figure.
Samantha: It's my turn, Eddie. I can do whatever I want.
Eddie: But... You don't even know how to play properly! Girls don't know enough about zombies.
Suddenly, an air raid siren can be heard. Ludvig Maxis' voice is then heard from comms.
Maxis (on comms): Put the toys away, children. Make sure the windows are locked before you come down to the basement.
Eddie: We'd better be doing what your dad says.
Samantha puts down the figure and goes to close the window. Near the window, a gramophone and a teddy bear can be seen. Samantha's dog, Fluffy, and then walks over to Samantha.
Eddie: I didn't even get my turn...
Samantha: Tomorrow, Eddie. You get to make the rules. I promise. (Turns over to Fluffy) Come on, Fluffy!
Fluffy runs over to the door, knocking over the unseen action figure in the process. Eddie and Samantha head toward the door. Under the bed, figures of Marlton Johnson, Russman, and Samuel J. Stuhlinger can be seen. Next to the door, there is also a box with a large "?" mark on it, and in front of the box, there is the Vril Generator with the Focusing Stone in it.
Eddie: I wish the heroes in our stories were real, Sam.
Samantha: I know what you mean. But we will make everything okay...
Eddie and Samantha leave the room. As Samantha closes the door, the screen fades to black.
Samantha: ... My dad says he has a plan.
- Main article: Origins/Quotes
- Main article: Origins/Radios
- Main article: Origins/Trivia