|Previous level||Buried (in-game)|
|Next level||The Giant (chronologically) |
Shadows of Evil (in-game)
|Game||Call of Duty: Black Ops II |
Call of Duty: Black Ops III
|Character||"Tank" Dempsey, Nikolai Belinski, Takeo Masaki, Edward Richtofen|
|Place||Excavation Site 64, Meuse, Lorraine, Northern France|
|Date||Sometime between September 26th and November 11th, 1918|
|Objective||Survive endless waves of the undead|
|Enemies||Zombies, Crusader Zombies, Templar Zombies, Panzersoldats|
|Zombies map||Elements of Revelations|
- "Every story has a beginning... and an end."
- — "Origins" trailer
Origins, also known as Excavation Site 64 and Dig Site, is a Zombies map included in the Apocalypse downloadable content for Call of Duty: Black Ops II released on August 27, 2013 for the Xbox 360 and on September 26, 2013 for the Playstation 3 and PC. It is the seventeenth (chronologically the first in the altered timeline) Zombies level.
A fractured portion of the map is featured in Revelations.
The "original characters" (Dempsey, Nikolai, Richtofen, and Takeo) once again appear as the four playable characters, this time as younger, alternate versions of their original selves. The zombies have yellow and blue eyes in this map. The map features Wonder Weapons that harness supernatural powers, a new enemy, the Panzersoldat, the Mark IV Tank, a new utility that gives a random Perk-a-Cola and new Power-Ups. Revealed in the cinematic intro of Origins, zombies in typical crusader attire appear, but only spawn at the four entrances to The Crazy Place and the main Excavation Site in the center of the map. Unlike typical zombies, the crusader zombies have blue-violet eyes; the crusader zombies also make different noises than the normal zombies.
Six generators are found across the map, which act as replacements for the classic Power Switch, and only power the area around it. If they are all powered at once, they activate the reskinned Pack-a-Punch Machine. For the first time, the Mystery Box requires power to be used. The Generators also power perk machines, although there are only five conventional perk machines and there are no machines at Generators 2 and 6. There are no new perks, but rather a machine called Der Wunderfizz, that gives the player a random perk bottle when activated, much like the Mystery box.
The three Giant Robots: Freya, Odin and Thor (from left to right, facing towards Generator 5 from Generator 4) travel across the map in their respective "lanes" and will instantly down players when they step on them unless the player shoots the glowing foot or the player has a golden helmet.
There are three new power-ups: Zombie Blood, which masks the player with zombie blood, in which they see reddish-orange, get an increased FOV, and Zombies and Panzer Soldats don't attack the player, Blood Money, which is obtained using the Shovel on graves. Blood Money is similar to Bonus Points, as it gives the player a random amount of points when obtained, and Empty Perk Bottle, which gives the player an additional perk slot.
Buildables also return, featuring four Elemental Staffs (the Staff of Lightning, the Staff of Fire, the Staff of Ice, and the Staff of Wind), the Zombie Shield with a new dieselpunk aesthetic and the Maxis Drone, which is similar to the MQ-27 Dragonfire, only using Dr. Maxis' brain. The Maxis Drone, after deployed, will follow the player, shooting at Zombies and reviving downed players.
Players can also use shovels at certain spots to dig up certain items. These may hold beneficial items, like a weapon, Power-Up, or staff part. They may also spawn something hazardous, like a Zombie or a live grenade.
- Two new enemies, Templar Zombies and the Panzersoldat.
- Three Giant Robots named Thor, Odin, and Freya roam the map.
- A new Utility Vehicle named the Mark IV Tank.
- Five new Buildables: the Maxis Drone and the Elemental Staffs.
- A new "Major" Easter Egg, called Little Lost Girl.
- Challenges are now in Zombies.
- A new way of gaining Perks, the Der Wunderfizz machine.
- Three new Power-Ups: Zombie Blood, Blood Money, and Empty Perk Bottle.
- A Shovel that can be used to dig up Zombies, Weapons, Ice Staff parts, Power-Ups and live grenades.
- The G-Strike, which acts like a more powerful Monkey Bomb.
- The One Inch Punch, a powerful melee weapon.
- Perk Machines and the Mystery Box are now powered by generators rather than one Power Switch.
|Shovel/Golden Shovel Pickups|
- Samantha is trapped and needs to be freed.
- A new song, Archangel (sung by Elena Siegman, Malukah & Clark S. Nova), can be activated by pressing the action button in front of three green stone blocks scattered around the map. Locations are:
- In the spawn room right of the ancient chest on the other side of the bunk bed.
- On the second floor of the work station opposite the stairway under a bed.
- On the scaffolding left of the entrance to the Excavation Site entrance facing spawn area next to a crate.
- Another song, Shepherd of Fire (by Avenged Sevenfold), can be activated by pressing the action button in front of three red radios scattered around the map. This is the song that plays in the intro to the map.
- Another song, Aether, can be activated by pressing the action button when prone in front of both "1" floor panels at Generator 1 & a "5" at Generator 5 (Generator 5 must be powered on).
Ciphers and Scrap PaperEdit
- Main article: Origins/Ciphers and Scrap Paper
Four ciphers can be found in the map as well as one scrap paper. The ciphers give some backstory to the events before Origins while the scrap paper show a drawning of Primis.
When zooming in at the burning church with a sniper rifle (such as a DSR 50), a picture of a skull suddenly appears on the player's screen accompanied with a high-pitched scream, similarly to the jumpscare in Mob of the Dead. It can be seen here.
- Little Lost Girl (75 /Silver Trophy ) - In Origins, release Samantha.
- Not a Gold Digger (5 /Bronze Trophy ) - In Origins, share a weapon you dug up.
- All Your Base (15 /Bronze Trophy ) - In Origins, activate all generators without allowing one to stop.
- Kung Fu Grip (15 /Bronze Trophy ) - In Origins, free yourself and another from the Panzer Soldat's claw in one game.
- Playing with Power (30 /Bronze Trophy ) - In Origins, build all elemental staffs in one game.
- I'm on a Tank! (10 /Bronze Trophy ) - In Origins, ride the tank around the map without getting off.
- Saving the Day... All Day (20 /Bronze Trophy ) - In Origins, revive another player four different ways in one game.
- Master of Disguise (15 /Bronze Trophy ) - In Origins, use Zombie Blood to revive three players and activate a generator in one playthrough.
- Overachiever (25 /Bronze Trophy ) - In Origins, complete all 4 Challenges in one game.
- Master Wizard (40 /Bronze Trophy ) - In Origins, wield all of the ultimate staffs in one game.
|Opening Scene Transcript|
The words Northern France, 1918 appear on the screen before shifting to scenes of various locations across a snow swept battlefield as a voice narrates.
Samantha: It began long ago, on the battlefields of the Great War.
Samantha: Two German scientists sought to harness dark and mysterious forces buried for centuries. They believed their discoveries would assure Germany's ultimate victory. But they could never have imagined just what else their research would unearth.
Scenes of German excavations are shown, as well as a meteorite of a strange element. In one chamber, three German soldiers wearing gas masks break through a wall. Through the hole, an unseen assailant emerges and surprises them. The figure is revealed to be a Zombie clad in old Crusader regalia. The zombies overwhelm the garrison of German soldiers before emerging from the ruins and onto the battlefield and killing all remaining German forces.
Samantha: As an ancient evil ravaged the front lines, the hopes of the Allies rested on three soldiers set to stop it.
The scene then changes to a crawling zombie being crushed under a tank. Atop the vehicle is Tank Dempsey, kicking a zombie off before jumping off himself and engaging the zombies with an MG 08, soon switching to a knife and a Remington New Model Army revolver.
The three draw their guns on each other, before they all point them towards another figure in the room. Dr. Edward Richtofen is seen with a bone saw cutting a dead Ludvig Maxis' head open. He briefly examines his bloody hands, seemingly confused, before the four notice more zombies approaching them through a hole in the wall.
Dempsey, Nikolai and Takeo aim their guns at the zombies. However, a bright orange light surrounds them as all four look up to see a Giant Robot looking down upon them. It raises its foot as the four dive out of the way, before the Robot stomps down upon the ground, the scene going black. The voice, now revealed to be that of Samantha closes the introduction.
Samantha: My name is Samantha. I'm going to tell you how all this really began.
|Ending Scene Transcript|
A white background appears as Samantha narrates
Samantha: As the gates to Agartha opened, the four heroes were rewarded with riches beyond imagination.
The background then shifts to a close-up view of Samantha's face.
Samantha: From that day forward, they knew that Samantha would keep them safe... forever.
Holding what seems to be an action figure, Samantha turns the figure slowly over to the floor, showing two zombie action figures resembling those from Mob of the Dead and Buried. Samantha knocks it over with her unseen figure, then knocks another cowboy zombie figure down, and just before knocking the cowboy zombie, Group 935's logo can be seen on the wall. The view then shifts to Eddie, who is sitting next to Samantha while holding a figure of Edward Richtofen. The room they are in is covered with several posters. One of the posters is the one seen in Mob of the Dead. There is a chalk outline on the wall resembling the MP40. Next to Eddie, an empty bottle of Juggernog can be seen, as well as a figure of the Panzer Soldat.
Eddie: You're getting everything wrong. I told you before, their eyes should be blue!
Samantha picks up the Nikolai Belinski figure.
Samantha: It's my turn, Eddie. I can do whatever I want.
Eddie: But... You don't even know how to play properly! Girls don't know enough about zombies.
Suddenly, an air raid siren can be heard. Ludvig Maxis' voice is then heard from comms.
Maxis (on comms): Put the toys away, children. Make sure the windows are locked before you come down to the basement.
Eddie: We'd better be doing what your dad says.
Samantha puts down the figure and goes to close the window. Near the window, a gramophone and a teddy bear can be seen. Samantha's dog, Fluffy, and then walks over to Samantha.
Eddie: I didn't even get my turn...
Samantha: Tomorrow, Eddie. You get to make the rules. I promise. (Turns over to Fluffy) Come on, Fluffy!
Fluffy runs over to the door, knocking over the unseen action figure in the process. Eddie and Samantha heads toward the door. Under the bed, figures of Marlton Johnson, Russman and Samuel J. Stuhlinger can be seen. Next to the door, there is also a box with a large "?" mark on it, and in front of the box, there is the Vril Generator with Focusing Stone in it.
Eddie: I wish the heroes in our stories were real, Sam.
Samantha: I know what you mean. But we will make everything okay...
Eddie and Samantha leave the room. As Samantha closes the door, the screen fades to black.
Samantha: ... My dad says he has a plan.
- Main article: Origins/Quotes
- Main article: Origins/Radios
- Main article: Origins/Trivia