- Not to be confused with "crawler", a common nickname for a zombie without legs.
A cluster of Crawler Zombies.
|Appears in||Call of Duty: Black Ops|
|Country||Germany, United States, The Moon|
|Level||Kino Der Toten, "Five", Dead Ops Arcade, and Moon|
- "That thing could not ever have been human!"
- — Takeo Masaki when killing a Crawler zombie.
Crawler zombies are skinny zombies who run around on all four limbs. Based on their appearance, Crawler zombies seem to be mutated much more than regular zombies. Richtofen gives an explanation that they were a failed experiment of some sort. They have a slimy, greenish gray shade of skin and appear to be wearing only torn brown jeans or jean shorts. They emit a very distinct trail of green gas that makes them quite noticeable among the horde. Furthermore, they have not retained their human facial features, and instead an over-sized angler fish-like mouth is the only prominent feature on the face.
Crawler zombies can be quite subversive and hard to see as they stay close to the floor. When killed, they will flip onto their backs, curl up (similar to a spider), and emit a cloud of green toxic gas that is dangerous to the player as vision becomes blurred, similar to the effects of Nova Gas in multiplayer (though looks and acts like Tabun Gas from Call of Duty: World at War multiplayer). They will not, however, release the cloud of gas if the final blow dealt to them is from a knife attack, Wonder Weapons, explosives; or if standing too close to a Teleporter.
They appear in the maps Kino der Toten, Five and a variant of them appear on Moon. In Dead Ops Arcade, Crawler Zombies appear at round 13 in the challenge round called "Creepy Crawlers." Crawlers zombies do not appear in Ascension, Call of the Dead or Shangri-La.
When a Crawler Zombie explodes, all zombies in radius of the explosion (excluding other Crawler Zombies) will die instantly which can be helpful in clearing large groups in the later levels.
Phasing Zombies are variants of the Crawler Zombie that appear on the map Moon. They are very similar to Crawler Zombies, except they disappear and reappear closer to a player. While wearing the P.E.S., the player is immune to the lethal gas they emit at their death, but can still be stunned by the explosion. They do not appear unless the player enters the labs in that same round.
- In Moon, when the Phasing Zombies are killed in low gravity, they will not explode.
- There are several backgrounds featuring Crawler Zombies that can be purchased for use in the Playercard in multiplayer.
- In the Call of Duty: Black Ops official game guide, they are called Gas Zombies.
- They are called Creepy Crawlers by the characters as well as in Dead Ops Arcade.
- In "WMD", an X-ray image of a Crawler zombie could beseen in the room which the player is then locked in by Steiner. If the player goes to the wall opposite to the door that he/she entered through, there are X-ray photos on a desk.
- Crawler Zombies can get their legs blown off and crawl in the same fashion as normal zombies. This is not the case for the Phasing Zombies on Moon.
- Phasing Zombies in Moon have slightly less health than a Crawler Zombie.
- Usually in Kino der Toten, when climbing down a wall and hit by a blast from the Ray Gun, they tend to either drop straight to the ground, or fly off the wall.
- In Dead Ops Arcade, Crawler Zombies will not run away once hitting a Teddy Bear shield, and instead will pause on the outside trying to get inside.
- The model for the crawler zombies has been re-used for a Die Rise enemy of a similar nature.