A timeline of events in the "Modern Warfare Timeline". It features events from the Call of Duty series from 25th October 1917 until January 21st 2017 from the games Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. It also features events from the Expanded Universe items Modern Warfare 2: Ghost, Find Makarov: Operation Kingfish, Soap's Journal. It includes DS games Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Nintendo DS), Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: Mobilized, and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3: Defiance.
- The Russian Civil War begins.
- World War II begins with the German invasion of Poland.
- MacMillan is born in Scotland.
- Khaled Al-Asad is born.
- Codename: Nikolai is born somewhere in Russia
- Sandman is born
- Vladimir Makarov is born.
Unknown Date - PresentEdit
- An active conflict in Siera Leone so far kills 87,213 people.
- Alejandro Rojas is born.
- The Soviet-Afghan War begins.
- John "Soap" MacTavish is born in Scotland.
- Waraabe is born in Mogadishu, Somalia.
- SEAL Team Six is formed
- The Chernobyl disaster occurs.
- A conflict in Kosovo leaves 6,000 casualties; mine-clearing and ops will continue until 2023.
- The Soviet Union collapses, Russia is now the Russian Federation.
- Alena Vorshevsky is born.
- Joseph Allen is born in New York
- A conflict in Rwanda leaves 800,000 to 1,000,000 dead.
- MacMillan and Lt. Price infiltrate Pripyat, Ukraine, and attempts to assassinate Imran Zakhaev. Zakhaev escapes with Vladimir Makarov and Yuri. MacMillan is wounded, but he and Price successfully escape.
- Alejandro Rojas becomes a freelance arms dealer and involves himself with many terrorist organizations.
- Vladimir Makarov bombs a Moscow city bus, leaving 29 people dead and 19 injured.
- Makarov bombs Piccadilly Circus using a modified London Underground train, leaving 407 dead.
- Makarov massacres a GUM mall in Moscow, leaving 87 dead.
- Makarov hijacks a Greek oil tanker in the Mediterranean Sea and kills 2 members of the Greek Navy before the $3 million ransom is paid.
- Makarov kills 3 Russian infantry soldiers.
- Makarov represses North Caucasus-based, pro-Western nationalist groups, commits assassinations of political leaders, arson and bombing of opposition parties. Makarov also murders Moscow-based journalist Ilya Lovitch.
- Makarov bombs several high government buildings in Kazakhstan, killing 245 people.
- Makarov hijacks two Kriegler Airliner planes, leaving 378 people dead, including 8 of his own henchmen.
- Makarov robs a HBS bank in Istanbul.
- Makarov kidnaps 15 Russian college students and murders 5 of them.
- Makarov bombs two African embassies, leaving 28 dead and 48 injured.
- Makarov raids an unknown number of bullion trucks in Moscow, steals 3 million rubles and kills 3 security guards.
- Makarov hijacks an unknown number of cruise ships in the Baltic Sea, tortures 3 US passengers until the $5 million ransom is paid.
- Makarov robs the Russian State Prostal and Banking Service Depot of 32 million rubles
- Makarov murders famous British designer Rob Millington.
- Makarov murders 3 US airmen in Turkmenistan.
- Makarov assists in coordinating attacks made by the Sudanese Military and Janjaweed Militia against rebels. This action is then implicated in human rights abuses.
- Makarov captures and dismembers the Mossad attache representing Ukraine because he was responsible for investigating Makarov's links to Islamic extremists.
- Makarov assassinates Pakistani politician Hasni Al'Bura.
- Makarov bombs a Swedish furniture store in a shopping mall located in St. Petersburg, killing 100 people.
- Makarov ambushes an FSB vehicle and kills 5 agents.
- Makarov abducts and murders SibGaz owner's wife and daughter.
- Makarov bombs a US oil company in Baku, killing 3 people.
- Makarov attempts to bomb an English-speaking school in Moscow but fails.
- Makarov rigs explosives in a Moscow soccer stadium. Makarov is denied publicity when authorities burst a pipe to prevent the match.
- Makarov receives over $2,100,100 worth of weapons, drugs and people.
Sometime before 2011 Edit
- The Russian Ultranationalist Party is formed, led by Imran Zakhaev.
- The Second Russian Civil War begins, between Russian government Loyalists and Ultranationalist rebels.
- Al Fulani is elected president in Saudi Arabia.
Day 0 Edit
- Sgt. "Soap" MacTavish impresses John Price enough on his CQB test at Credenhill, UK, and is put on Price's team.
- Price, Gaz, Sgt. "Soap" MacTavish, and a small SAS team infiltrate an Estonian freighter in the Bering Sea, which is carrying nuclear material from the Ultranationalists to Al-Asad. Russian MiGs attack the freighter and it is sunk just after Price, Gaz, Sgt. "Soap" MacTavish, and the rest of the SAS team escape.
- In a bloody coup d'état, Khaled Al-Asad takes over in a Middle Eastern country backed by Imran Zakhaev. Khaled Al-Asad executes President Al-Fulani.
- Zach Parker is undergoing some basic training at an unknown marine base. The base is then attacked by OpFor and the surviving marines manage to escape the base.
- The marines escape to an unnamed Middle Eastern town and after intense house-to-house fighting, a helicopter arrives and rescues them.
Day 2 Edit
- Price, Gaz, and Sgt. "Soap" MacTavish infiltrate into the Caucasus Mountains to rescue their informant, Nikolai, from Ultranationalist forces. Along the way, they provide Sgt. Kamarov sniper support for his attack on the village where Nikolai is being held. The SAS team successfully extracts Nikolai and exfil safely.
- The helicopter carrying the Price, Gaz, Sgt. "Soap" MacTavish and Nikolai is shot down by a SAM missile. The team continues on foot to a secondary extraction point, fighting through a large Ultranationalist force. They are supported by an AC-130H Spectre gunship, callsign Warhammer/Wildfire, until they were rescued.
- USMC forces (under command of Gen. Shepherd) invade Al-Asad's country leading a Coalition Force. In a coastal city Lt. Vasquez, SSgt. Griggs, Sgt. Paul Jackson and Marine forces are sent to extract Khaled Al-Asad from a TV station where he is supposedly recording. They find that Khaled Al-Asad is not at the TV station, and Khaled Al-Asad is still on the run.
Day 3 Edit
- Lt. Vasquez, Griggs, Paul Jackson and Marine forces break through to a disabled M1 Abrams tank codenamed "War Pig" stuck in a bog.
- After rescuing "War Pig" Lt. Vasquez, Paul Jackson and Marine forces take on the OpFor with "War Pig" in support, hoping to drive Khaled Al-Asad's forces back to the capital city, where they would be surrounded. In the attack on the capital city, Yuri watches as Vladimir Makarov detonates a nuclear device from Al-Asad's safehouse miles away from the blast radius. The detonation kills 30,000 marines as well as Lt. Vasquez and Sgt. Paul Jackson. SSgt. Griggs survives due to him not being within the blast radius of the weapon.
Day 4 Edit
- Price, Gaz, Sgt. "Soap" MacTavish and a SAS unit infiltrate into Azerbaijan to locate Khaled Al-Asad. They join up with a Loyalist unit which provides helicopter support. The SAS team succeeds in taking the village and the safehouse where Khaled Al-Asad is hiding. Price interrogates Khaled Al-Asad to find out the origin of the nuclear device. Khaled Al-Asad's phone rings, and Cpt. Price answers it revealing Imran Zakhaev to be behind the whole plot. Price then executes Khaled Al-Asad.
- Eight hours after Khaled Al-Asad's death, Ultranationalist forces attack the village where the SAS team are held up. After holding off and breaking through the brutal assault, Price, Gaz, Sgt. "Soap" MacTavish and the SAS unit is rescued by a team of Marines lead by SSgt. Griggs.
Day 5 Edit
- The combined SAS/USMC team infiltrates into Southern Russia, to find Victor Zakhaev, Imran Zakhaev's son, and get intel on Imran Zakhaev's motives and whereabouts. With the aid of the Loyalist Sgt. Kamarov and his unit, Price, Gaz, Sgt. "Soap" MacTavish, Griggs and a combined SAS/USMC team disguises itself as Ultranationalist troops. The ambush succeeds but Victor Zakhaev flees on foot. Sgt. "Soap" MacTavish and Griggs chase after him, until Victor Zakhaev reaches the top of a derelict building's roof. With no way to escape, Victor Zakhaev commits suicide, rather than surrender.
Day 6 Edit
- 0619: Imran Zakhaev delivers an ultimatum to the US and British forces in Russia; or risk a nuclear attack. A team consisting of Price, Gaz, Sgt. "Soap" MacTavish, Griggs and a combined SAS/USMC force lands in the Altay Mountains in Russia to recapture an ICBM facility held by Ultranationalist forces. However, Griggs is separated in the drop and captured. Price, Gaz, and Sgt. "Soap" MacTavish successfully rescue Griggs and continue the mission. En route to the ICBM facility, two RT-2UTTH Topol-M ICBMs, each containing four 100 kiloton nuclear warheads, are launched at the Eastern Coast of the US.
- 0716: Bravo Team fights through the heavily-guarded perimeter of the ICBM launch facility and enters through the ventilation shafts.
- 0735: Bravo Team fights through the facility to gain control of the control room, where Sgt. "Soap" MacTavish successfully enters the self-destruct codes to destroy the ICBMs in flight. As enemy reinforcements are about to storm the facility, they escape by trucks from the vehicle depot.
- 0825: The team flees on the mountain roads as trucks filled with enemy troops pursue them. The chase is stopped when a Mi-24 Hind helicopter destroys a bridge, trapping the team. A fuel truck explodes, incapacitating most of the team. SSgt. Griggs is killed in the firefight. As the team lies vulnerable on the bridge Imran Zakhaev arrives to make sure they are all dead (he personally kills Gaz). However, Loyalist forces led by Sgt. Kamarov destroy the Mi-24 "Hind", distracting Imran Zakhaev long enough for Cpt. Price to slide Sgt. "Soap" MacTavish his M1911, which he uses to kill Imran Zakhaev and his two guards. Sgt. Kamarov arrives to rescue Sgt. "Soap" MacTavish.
Between 2011 and 2013Edit
- Vladimir Makarov, Imran Zakhaev's protege, becomes the new head of the Russian Ultranationalist Party, and commits various acts of terrorism. Vladimir Makarov also begins working with the black market arms dealer Alejandro Rojas.
- The international Task Force 141 is created, consisting of American, Canadian, British, and Australian forces. Amongst its special force members, include U.S. Army Rangers, U.S. Navy SEALs, and British SAS, as well as intelligence gathering from undercover agencies such as the CIA. It also includes veterans of the events of 2011, such as John "Soap" MacTavish and John Price. American General Shepherd is the overall commander of Task Force 141.
- Simon "Ghost" Riley kills Kevin Sparks and Marcus Washington.
- Simon Riley kills Manuel Roba and later joins Task Force 141.
- The recently defeated OpFor rebuilds its numbers and equipment, regains its power and confidence, and invades Afghanistan.
- Simon "Ghost" Riley is sent to a rescue hostages in a school in Ukraine.
- Operation Kingfish is launched by a joint Task Force 141 and Delta Force strike team to eliminate Vladimir Makarov. Task Force 141 Operatives included are Captain John Price, Simon "Ghost" Riley, John "Soap" MacTavish, Gary "Roach" Sanderson, Delta Force Operators Sandman and Frost. The operation turns out to be a trap and cause John "Soap" MacTavish to be wounded and John Price to be captured and sent to the Petropavlovsk Gulag.
Between 2013 and 2016Edit
- The Russian Ultranationalist Party defeats the Russian Loyalist Party, both militarily and politically, effectively ending the Second Russian Civil War.
- Imran Zakhaev is turned into a martyr for Russia, and a statue is built in his memory.
- Capt. John Price is listed as M.I.A. and is incarcerated in a Russian Gulag for several years.
- John "Soap" MacTavish is promoted to Captain and becomes Field Commander of Task Force 141.
- MacMillan becomes Director of Special Forces of the 22nd SAS base in Hereford.
- Task Force 141's One-One Team conducts an operation to save a hostage from Ultranationalists aboard a plane. They save the hostage and freefall to safety out of the plane before it exploded.
- Vladimir Makarov becomes the CIA's most wanted terrorist.
Prior to Day 1Edit
A statue of Imran Zakhaev is constructed in memory of him hailing him as a hero in Moscow.
Day 1 (August 10th) Edit
- PFC. Joseph Allen helps Sgt. Foley train Afghan troops at Firebase Phoenix in Afghanistan.
- PFC. Joseph Allen and the U.S. Army Rangers take a town in Afghanistan against the OpFor. General Shepherd hand-picks PFC. Joseph Allen to be reassigned to the CIA.
Sometime between Day 1 and 2 Edit
- Sgt. Foley, Cpl. Dunn, Pvt. James Ramirez and the rest of the 1st Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment is rotated out of Afghanistan, and return home to the United States.
Day 2 (August 11th) Edit
- Captain MacTavish and Sgt. Gary "Roach" Sanderson infiltrate a Russian airbase in the Tian Shan mountains of Kazakhstan. They retrieve data from an ACS module that fell into Russian hands and escape on snowmobiles when they are compromised.
Day 3 (August 12th)Edit
- 08:41 The Zahkaev International Airport Massacre. Because Yuri tried to stop him, Vladimir Makarov shoots his comrade and leaves him to die in the airport's parking garage before he and his men ascend to Terminal 4 and shoot everyone they see. Yuri tries to follow and stop Makarov, but passes out from blood loss. After killing hundreds of civilians, Makarov's team moves out to the tarmac and engages FSB. Many FSB are killed, but Lev and Kiril are also killed. After the slaughter, Makarov shoots another comrade, Alexei Borodin, because he's an embedded CIA agent. The FSB recovers Borodin's body and later identifies him as Joseph Allen. Medics arrive on scene and save as many lives as they can, including Yuri. Later Russia declares war against the United States,starting a conflict between the United States and Russia leading to World War 3
Day 4 (August 13th)Edit
- After receiving intel to link Alejandro Rojas to Vladimir Makarov, Task Force 141 journeys to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil to interrogate him. Sgt. Gary "Roach" Sanderson disables Rojas' assistant. Afterward, Captain MacTavish and Simon "Ghost" Riley interrogate him while the rest of the team chases Alejandro Rojas into the favela. Meat and Royce are killed, leaving Sgt. Gary "Roach" Sanderson to follow Alejandro Rojas. Captain MacTavish successfully captures Alejandro Rojas by jumping on him from a window.
- In response to what they believe to be an American-supported terrorist attack, Russia attacks the United States, starting the Russo-American War, and invades the East Coast. Pvt. James Ramirez of the U.S. Army Rangers under Sgt. Foley helps locate and protect codename "Raptor" in Northeastern Virginia while also defending against the invading Russians.
- Task Force 141 escapes Rio de Janiero from some 200 Militia with the help of Nikolai. Roach barely makes it when he slips and falls off a roof on the way to the Pavelow but runs through the favela and manages to escape on Nikolai's Pavelow. With Alejandro Rojas' info, they learn that the person Vladimir Makarov hates the most is being held in a gulag in Russia. General Shepherd sends TF141 along with the 6th Fleet and the U.S. Navy SEALS to retrieve him.
- Through the streets of Arcadia, Northeastern Virginia, Pvt. James Ramirez, Sgt. Foley, Cpl. Dunn and the US Army Rangers, aided by an IAV Stryker codenamed "Honey Badger," assist the civilian evacuations whilst neutralizing anti-air guns and more Russian personnel as well as locating General Shepherd's (dead) HVI.
Day 5 (August 14th)Edit
- On Vikhorevka 36 Oil Platform near the coast of Russia, Captain MacTavish, Sgt. Gary "Roach" Sanderson, Simon "Ghost" Riley of Task Force 141, aided by the U.S. Navy SEALS, rescues hostages as the USMC disable SAM sites.
- 40 miles East of Petropavlosk, Russia, with the help of the U.S. Navy, Captain MacTavish, Sgt. Gary "Roach" Sanderson, Simon "Ghost" Riley and Task Force 141 extracts Prisoner #627 (Capt. Price) from the Gulag.
- As the war rages in the capital city of Washington, D.C., Pvt. James Ramirez, Sgt. Foley, Cpl. Dunn and US Army Rangers defend the Washington Monument evacuation site from the fifth floor of the Dept. of Commerce. Pvt. James Ramirez, Sgt. Foley, and Cpl. Dunn are evacuated but are shot down by a massive SAM battery at the Department of Justice. At the crashed UH-60 Black Hawk they make their last stand against a flood of attacking Russian soldiers.
- Capt. Price leads Task Force 141 to infiltrate a Russian submarine base docked 14 miles SSE of Petropavlosk, Russia. Capt. Price launches an ICBM and detonates it in the atmosphere over the U.S. East Coast as an EMP that cripples both the US and Russian Military, ensuring the survival of Pvt. James Ramirez, Sgt. Foley, Cpl. Dunn and US Army Rangers in Washington, D.C. and gives the edge back to the Americans.
- Sat1 conducts extra-vehicular activities and is contacted by NASA to observe the ICBM launched by Cpt. Price. Sat1 witnesses the missile's detonation, as well as the destruction of the ISS. Sat1 is subsequently thrown through space due to the missile's explosion before being hit by one of the ISS solar panels, and is killed.
- General Shepherd receives a blank check from the U.S. Secretary of Defense while in a bunker underneath the Colorado mountains, securing anything he needs to kill Vladimir Makarov.
- 19:28 - Pvt. James Ramirez, Sgt. Foley, Cpl. Dunn and the US Army Rangers, saved by Price's EMP, cut through the Eisenhower Building and retake Whiskey Hotel (the White House).
Day 6 (August 15th) Edit
- Captain MacTavish and Capt. Price hunt for Vladimir Makarov in Kandahar, Afghanistan, while Sgt. Gary "Roach" Sanderson, Simon "Ghost" Riley, Ozone, Scarecrow, Archer, Toad, and the rest of Task Force 141 look for him at a safehouse at the Georgia-Russia border.
- Sgt. Gary "Roach" Sanderson and Simon "Ghost" Riley, having not found Vladimir Makarov at his safehouse, copy files from Vladimir Makarov's computer. Ozone and Scarecrow are KIA. Sgt. Gary "Roach" Sanderson and Simon "Ghost" Riley defend the house from Ultranationalist forces, and then head for the extraction point, but both are betrayed and killed by General Shepherd, who starts his own, personal war to eliminate his evidence of betrayal. Sgt. Gary "Roach" Sanderson and Simon "Ghost" Riley's bodies are burned.
- Captain MacTavish and Capt. Price are attacked by General Shepherd's Shadow Company as well as Vladimir Makarov's men. A three-way battle ensues as Capt. Price reveals General Shepherd's betrayal to Vladimir Makarov, who reveals the whereabouts of Site Hotel Bravo to Price, General Shepherd's base in Afghanistan. Captain MacTavish and Capt. Price escape in a jeep on board Nikolai's plane.
- Captain MacTavish and Capt. Price, are declared wanted war criminals, and a global manhunt begins for the two.
- Vladimir Makarov goes into hiding.
Day 7 (August 16th) Edit
- John "Soap" MacTavish and John Price infiltrate Site Hotel Bravo in Afghanistan, and chase after General Shepherd, culminating in a dive over a waterfall.
- John "Soap" MacTavish attempts to take down General Shepherd but is stabbed in the chest. John Price attacks General Shepherd in a hand-to-hand battle. John Price begins to lose the edge until John "Soap" MacTavish hurls a Throwing Knife into General Shepherd's left eye, killing him. Nikolai arrives in a Little Bird and rescues the two. Now labeled as international fugitives, they go into hiding.
- Nikolai takes Soap and Price to a safehouse in Himachal Pradesh, Northern India. Yuri joins Price and Nikolai and helps them bring Soap to Nikolai's Little Bird to safety from Makarov's forces as they assault the Loyalist safehouse.
- Sgt. Derek "Frost" Westbrook and codename Sandman of Delta Force fight through Wall Street to the roof of the Stock Exchange where they knock down a jamming tower. They hold out until extraction and clash in a helicopter duel with enemy Hinds.
- Joined with the U.S. Navy SEALs, Frost and Sandman infiltrate a Russian Oscar-II Class submarine and launch its missiles against the Russian fleet. They escape out of New York Harbor.
Sometime between August 17th and October 3rdEdit
- John "Soap" Mactavish, John Price, Nikolai and Yuri escape from Makarov's forces and relocate to Africa, where Soap recovers and heals from his knife wound; they conduct a mission in Parrot's Beak, Guinea.
- Following the mission in Parrot's Beak, they conduct a mission at an international airport in Accra, Ghana. They protect a courier transferring $600,000 worth of gold to a plane.
- Russian President Boris Vorshevsky flies to Hamburg to negotiate a peace treaty with NATO. In flight the plane is hijacked by Makarov's Ultranationalists. Security agents including Andrei Harkov defend the president. The plane crash lands somewhere in Eastern Europe. Vorshevsky's daughter Alena is secured. However Makarov kills the president's security detail (including Harkov), and takes Vorshevsky hostage, hoping to get the nuclear launch codes from him.
- Price, Soap and Yuri, infiltrate Sierra Leone, to find where Makarov's chemical weapons are being transported from. Fighting the African Militia, they discover the factory empty and head to a church where the shipment leaves too soon for them to stop it.
- Sgt. Marcus Burns of the SAS, along with Sgt. Wallcroft and Cpl. Griffen, sneak through London to neutralize a Russian terrorist threat. They soon engage in a car chase through the underground train tunnels. They are able to reach the blockade to stop suspected bomb trucks. However, one is set off in London.
- Chemical attacks are launched all across Europe. This paves the way for a massive blitzkrieg campaign by the Russian Army, who soon reach Hamburg and Paris.
- Delta Force rescues the US Vice President in Hamburg, Germany in the opening hours of the invasion.
- After gaining a lead by MacMillan, Price, Soap and Yuri go to Somalia to interrogate Waraabe, an African arms dealer. After gaining intel and killing him, they attempt an exfil, but Nikolai's helicopter is shot down. They rescue Nikolai and escape the city through a violent sandstorm.
- Price gives Sandman intel, in turn Delta Force Team Metal goes to Paris to track down Volk. After fighting their way through the city and linking up with GIGN operatives, they move down into the catacombs and find Volk who flees. After a furious car chase, the Team damages Volk's car and capture him.
- Delta Force escapes Paris with Volk while supported by an AC-130.
- After interrogating Volk, Sandman gives Price intel on where Makarov will be. Price and the team infiltrate Russian-occupied Prague with the help of Sgt. Kamarov and the local resistance to set up a sniping position to kill Makarov.
- The assassination mission goes awry when Makarov learns about it. Kamarov is captured and killed, and the vantage point where Yuri and Soap are watching explodes, mortally wounding Soap. The three escape to a Resistance safehouse where Soap dies, but not before telling Price that Makarov knows Yuri. Enraged Price confronts Yuri, who confesses his past with Makarov. Price allows Yuri to live, for now.
- Price and Yuri infiltrate Makarov's stronghold not far from Prague, and learn that Makarov's men have plans to capture Alena Vorshevsky in Berlin. They make a furious escape as Makarov's men become aware of their presence.
- Nikolai contacts Sandman about Alena Vorshevsky. Delta Force discovers her whereabouts in Berlin. Team Metal backs up Granite as they go into rescue her. In the fighting, Granite is killed by an unseen explosive device. Metal now goes in to rescue Alena backed up by German tanks, which are destroyed by an explosive-rigged collapsed building. They move through the building and reach her location but the Russians get there first taking her away in an Mi-24 Hind helicopter.
- After tracking the Hind to a diamond mine in Eastern Siberia. Delta Force and Task Force 141 assault it. After finding Alena, Truck secures an evac for her. The joint team successfully rescues President Vorshevsky. In the escape, Team Metal sacrifice themselves to buy time for Price and Yuri to escape with the Russian President. Sandman, Truck and Grinch are presumed KIA after the mine collapses.
After October 14thEdit
- Peace between the Russian Federation and United States is agreed to, ending World War III.
- Task Force 141 is cleared and reinstated, and is given permission to continue operations to hunt down Makarov, who is still at large.
- Price and Yuri, with the help of Nikolai assault the Hotel Oasis in the Arabian Peninsula, tracking down Makarov. Price stops the terrorist from leaving in a helicopter by crashing it. In the ensuing chaos afterward. Makarov nearly kills Price, until confronted by Yuri, whom he shoots and kills. This buys Price enough time to attack Makarov, whom he strangles and hangs to death by crashing through a glass roof. Price sits on the glass-shard covered floor, bleeding. He finally takes out a lighter and a cigar and smokes while watching Makarov's hanging corpse. Police sirens sound in the distance.