- Russian Soldier: "These are potatoes, Comrade Commissar! Why are we using potatoes instead of real grenades?"
- Commissar Letlev: "Because real grenades are valuable! In fact, they are worth a lot more than you are!"
- — A Soviet soldier and Commissar Letlev.
Call of Duty 2Edit
|Call of Duty 2|
Potatoes are used in "Red Army Training", the opening level of the Call of Duty 2 campaign. They are grenade substitutes used by the player and his fellow comrades to practice throwing grenades. Being nothing more than a normal potato, they do not cause any damage, nor do they explode like conventional hand grenades. If thrown at another character, they harmlessly bounce off without the NPC reacting at all. Sometimes if thrown at an enemy, they die.
Call of Duty 4: Modern WarfareEdit
Potatoes are seen in a box in the weapon armory in "F.N.G." as a throwback to Call of Duty 2.
Call of Duty: World at WarEdit
Unused potato models can be found in the game files.
- If the player throws a potato at a German soldier in the level "Red Army Training", the German will be surprised and confused, and say "Kartoffeln?" which is German for 'potatoes?'. Also, if the player throws enough at the German, a potato will get stuck in his head.
- It's possible to kill the German prisoner being interrogated with the potatoes. However, doing so will fail the mission.