|One of our forward unit pages is pinned down and needs our expansion!|
It is requested that this article, or a section of this article, needs to be expanded.
Add to the discussion on what needs to be improved, or start your own discussion on the talk page.
This is a glossary of various player terminology, seen in varying levels of usage among players. Since slang and acronyms are always being invented, along with new games, this list will never be truly complete.
Please note: Any terms on this page must be well-known, free of offending content, and as clear-cut as possible. All terms must be related to Call of Duty or Call of Duty Wiki explicitly. Other online terminology can be found on Urban Dictionary.
- 360: When the player spins 360 degrees, i.e. a full circle. May also refer to Xbox 360.
- Primarily referred to the act of killing someone after doing a full circle (360 degrees), typically with a sniper rifle.
- 3arc: Treyarch.
- 402: Robert Bowling's nickname.
- AEAE: Short for "All editors are equal", a policy on the wiki.
- AfD: Short for "Articles for Deletion", a project page on the wiki.
- Ace: When one player kills every opponent as "last man standing" in a Search and Destroy game.
- AR: Short for Assault Rifle, a type of mid-range automatic, burst fire, or semiautomatic weapons seen in Call of Duty games.
- AW: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
- BB: Short for "Be bold", a guideline on the wiki.
- Baby Gun: Slang for 31-79 JGb215.
- Baby Monitor: Slang for the Heartbeat Sensor.
- BEL: Behind Enemy Lines, a game mode in Call of Duty.
- Blops: Call of Duty: Black Ops.
- Blops2: Call of Duty: Black Ops II.
- BO: Call of Duty: Black Ops.
- BO2: Call of Duty: Black Ops II.
- Boosting: The act of two or more players collaborating through dishonest methods in ranked multiplayer lobbies to gain in-game rewards, such as camouflages. Can be reported for in Call of Duty: Black Ops, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops II, and Call of Duty: Ghosts.
- Bow: Short for Crossbow, a type of special weapon which fires explosive bolts.
- Camping: The act of staying in one specific area of a map (usually a corner or a building) while waiting for enemies to come into visual range. Often frowned upon.
- Camper: A term used for someone who camps.
- Christmas Noob: Refers to the wave of inexperienced players who get a Call of Duty game on Christmas.
- Clutch: A situation in which a player makes a last stroke to win the match while losing by many points.
- Also used to refer to the act of the last player alive in a match of Search and Destroy winning a round by defusing the bomb while enemies are alive.
- Clan: A group of players who often play cooperatively in multiplayer.
- CoD: Call of Duty.
- Collateral: When the player gets multiple kills with a single shot.
- CT: Combat Training.
- Crawler: A zombie that has had its leg(s) blown off, resulting it moving very slowly and giving players time to do vital things without threat. This term can also be used to refer to Crawler Zombies.
- DBAD: Short for "Don't be a dick", a policy on the wiki.
- DDD: Short for Don't delete discussions, a policy on the wiki.
- Demo: Short for Demolition gametype. Can also refer to a Demo version of any game.
- DFTT: Short for "Don't feed the trolls", a sub-policy on the wiki which denotes "to ignore, instead of engage, potential trolls".
- DM: Deathmatch, a multiplayer game mode.
- Dolphin Dive: Slang for Dive to Prone.
- Dom: Short for Domination gametype.
- Dropshot: Going prone immediately upon encountering an enemy in close quarters combat in order to avoid gunfire while shooting.
- Electric Man: Most common name for the Avogadro
- GL: Short for Grenade Launcher. Can also mean "good luck".
- GWK: Game winning kill, showcased in the final killcam.
- GG: A polite remark uttered after the end of a round, game, or other measured interval to indicate that a match was fair and enjoyable.
- Hardscope: Slang (often derogatory) for using a sniper rifle 'properly', as opposed to quickscoping or trickshotting.
- Head glitching: The act of using shoulder height cover to give a full view of target; whereas the target is limited to only the top of the enemy's head to shoot without using bullet penetration.
- Hitmarker: A visual indicator (a small X-like figure in the middle of the screen) that appears when the player damages an enemy (or teammate, if friendly fire is turned on). Usually only appears in multiplayer modes. The term is often used for a situation where the player only damaged the enemy without killing them.
- HQ: Headquarters.
- Holo: Holographic Sight.
- HBS: Short for Heartbeat Sensor.
- ID: Short for "Improvement Drive", a project page on the wiki.
- IRC: Internet Relay Chat, on Call of Duty Wiki often refers to the IRC channel.
- IW: Infinity Ward.
- Javelin glitch: A former highly known glitch where a player could exploit the Javelin to create a massive explosion upon death (similar to the effects of Dead Man's Hand).
- Jug/Jugg/Jugs: Short for Juggernog or Juggernaut.
- Jumpshot: Jumping when encountering an enemy to evade incoming fire and shooting at the enemy simultaneously.
- KD or K/D: Kill to death ratio.
- Killcam: a visual replay of events that lead to where the player got killed, shown in their killer's Perception of View. A killcam is not shown in the case of an Assisted Suicide.
- LMG: Short for Light Machine Gun, a group of high capacity weapons seen in Call of Duty games.
- Marty: Short for Martyrdom.
- MW: Stands for games in the Modern Warfare series, commonly with the game's number at the end (e.g. "MW2" for Modern Warfare 2).
- Newbie: A player that is new to the game and inexperienced, not necessarily used as a derogatory term.
- Ninja Defuse: Act of stealthily defusing a bomb soon after an enemy plants it in Search and Destroy.
- Noob: A derogatory form of "newbie", usually used to insult new or less experienced players and those who use easy and "cheap" tactics, such as camping or using the most powerful weapon available.
- Noob tube: Derogatory term used to express resentment toward grenade launchers which are relatively easy to use.
- No-scope: Getting a kill with a sniper rifle by hip-firing.
- NUW: Short for "New User Welcomer", a retired usergroup on the wiki.
- OMA: One Man Army.
- OP/Overpowered: An in-game feature (such as a weapon) that is extremely effective, typically so much that it affects the overall balance of the game.
- Panic knife: The act of instinctively, or purposely knifing an enemy extremely close to the player without thought.
- PaP: Short for Pack-a-Punch.
- Quickscoping/QS: An act where a player aims down the sights (typically with a sniper rifle), shoots just as it is scoped in, and scopes out immediately.
- Quad: Four rapid kills.
- Quadfeed: Achieving four uninterrupted kills in the kill feed.
- Ragequit: Ending or leaving a game mid-way because of anger toward the game or current situation.
- RCP: Short for Recent Changes Patroller, a usergroup on the wiki.
- Reload cancel: Cancelling a reload by momentarily sprinting, quickly switching weapons or meleeing before the animation is completed (but the gun is technically reloaded) to cut off the 'unnecessary' animation time from the reload.
- RfA/RfB: Short for "Request for adminship/bureaucrat", a project page on the wiki.
- S&D/SnD: Search & Destroy, a multiplayer game mode.
- Shrink Ray: A nickname used by many players for the 31-79 JGb215, due to its complicated name.
- SMG: A group of high mobility, high fire rate weapons seen in Call of Duty games.
- Squeaker: Often derogatory slang for children with high-pitched voices.
- Tac Insert/Tac/TI: Short for Tactical Insertion.
- Tac Knife: Short for Tactical Knife.
- TDM: Team Deathmatch.
- TK: Team Kill or Team Killing.
- Trickshot: Doing different actions such as weapon switching and random spinning, and eventually proceeding to trying to get a kill with a sniper rifle, often a Quickscope or a No-Scope.
- Tryhard: A person who puts a large amount of effort into achieving a certain image, or counter-image, to the point where it is obviously contrived. Rather than achieving an image through genuine personality, a try-hard consciously attempts to fit a certain style through deliberate imitation, forced style, or scripted behavior.
- UotM: Short for "User of the Month", a project page on the wiki.
- UTP: Short for "User Treatment Policy", a policy on the wiki.
- Wall Bang: The act of getting a bullet penetration kill.
- WaW: Call of Duty: World at War.
- Wonder Waffle: A slang term for the Wunderwaffe DG-2.
- X-Ray Sight: A slang name for the Millimeter Scanner, referencing its ability to see players through objects.