|Settlement Defense Front|
|Appears in||Call of Duty: Black Ops III (easter egg)|
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
- "Make no mistake, we will rip you from the history books. Every last trace of you gone! You will know loss. We will be the architects of your pain, we will build monuments to your destruction. The whole world will bear witness to this, our ascension. We will blot out your skies, we will bury you in darkness. Know this and know us. We are your enemy. We are the Settlement Defense Front."
- — Vice Admiral Caleb Thies in the Know Your Enemy teaser trailer.
SetDef is composed of off-world insurgents who seek to control the solar system. They see themselves as the true inheritors of the solar system, and believe their way of life to be "stronger, more pure," than the people of Earth. In SetDef's mind, living off-world has made them more worthy of ruling the solar system, while those who reside on Earth are weak "fat cats," living off the bounty of the off-world colonies. They value functionality over style, an attitude reflected in everything from their ships to their weapons and armor, which is modular, with everything designed to protect them from the harshness of space. They have re-purposed service robots into military roles, adding to their legions of troops. For SetDef, a true victory would mean the utter cessation of all planetary resources reaching Earth. They are willing to kill civilians, soldiers, and anyone who gets in their way.
The origins of SetDef lie in the 'gold rush' period of planetary colonization, when colonists first began leaving Earth.
Attack on GenevaEdit
During the annual Fleet Week Parade held in Geneva, the SDF launched their attack. A sleeper-cell agent hijacked Earth's planetary defense system, AATIS, destroying the majority of SATO's fleet in moments. This was in conjunction with a ground assault launched on the city, seeking to take out the world's leaders and other attendees. While the attack was repelled, the SATO fleet took significant damage, resulting in two remaining airships, Retribution and Tigris.
- When designing the SDF, Infinity Ward took inspiration from Soviet and British designs from the 1960s. They're a "functional first" aesthetic in terms of their design.
- After an update on the Nuk3town multiplayer map a spaceship can be seen flying by in the cut scene a logo of the Settlement Defense Front after the "NUK3TOWN OFFLINE" message appears and Caleb Thies would read his quote out loud. This was changed back to original end cut scene following the reveal of Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare.
- ↑ http://charlieintel.com/2016/05/02/official-call-duty-infinite-warfare-reveal-trailer/
- ↑ Game Informer #79: Building Futuristic Combat from Realistic Roots