15 for direct impact
4 rounds (SP)
- "Device that produces an intense light, blinding and disorienting targets that are in it's field of view."
- — Signal Flare Create-A-Class Description
Unlike the Flashbang, it has no effect on the players sound, but will affect anyone who walks into the area while the flare is still in effect, including the player who threw it. While in effect, viewing past the signal is incredibly hard, making it an effective tool for a quick escape. It should also be noted that when very close to a Signal Flare, the player's HUD disappears, like in Hardcore game modes, until you leave the Flare's radius of effect. It is a glowing red stick when thrown, possibly revealing the player's position if the enemy pays enough attention, unlike the Tabun Gas Grenade, which does not reveal the player's position when thrown.
It is only seen in the campaign once: in "Semper Fi", it is used by the Japanese forces to ambush the player and a group of Marines. It is not seen afterwards, and cannot be used by the player either.
- The Shades perk reduces its effects to a great degree.
- Signal Flares are not present in the Wii version.
- A good strategy for large maps is to use a flare for its real purpose, toss it into the air to mark your position so your friend can join you or use it as a trap for enemies.
- "Flare" can be seen written on the side.