Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Tier 2 Perk|
- "Higher explosive weapon damage."
- — Perk description
Sonic Boom is a Tier 2 perk in Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare that increases the damage (and consequently the killzone radius within the blast radius) of all explosives used by the player. Explosive weapons that are affected by Sonic Boom are fragmentation grenades, launched grenades, C4, RPG-7s, and Claymore mines. Sonic Boom is canceled out by Juggernaut and will not affect flashbangs, stun grenades, or smoke grenades.
Sonic Boom increases damage just enough for hand grenades to kill at the very edge of its blast radius. Other explosive items' kill radius is nearly doubled, but the increased blast radius of any of them aren't nearly as large as the hand grenade. This perk is not commonly used due to the availability of more versatile Tier 2 perks, but can be useful, as this perk may be used by players who use mortar frags or use grenade launchers. Players may also combine this with claymores on objective based game modes. This perk is also useful because it may help to kill more foes in a large firefight or in a small map.
Some players make a class around this perk. The player will use a gun with a Grenade Launcher, and use the perks Sonic Boom and Martyrdom. This is very effective on small maps like Shipment. In other cases, the Grenade Launcher is replaced by the Frag x3 perk.
If a reference for distance is needed, use the boxes on Shipment. The large cargo crates that the player sees in Shipment and Wet Work are exactly 256x100 units in size. 256 units is 6.5 meters, the same exact range of the Frag Grenade's max blast radius.
- In Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, there is a title named "Sonic Boom" achieved by the Danger Close Pro V challenge. This refers to this perk of the same name.
- It is interesting to note that the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 level "S.S.D.D." has a picture to the left and above the live firing range words that uses the perk icon picture, only sideways.
- As seen in the game menu source files, Sonic Boom was originally going to be a Tier 3 perk.
- This perk enables the RPG-7 to down a helicopter in 1 shot rather than 2.