The Strela-3 (Russian: Стрела-3, literally "Arrow-3") is a launcher featured in Call of Duty: Black Ops and Call of Duty: Black Ops: Declassified. It is vehicle lock-on only, similar to the Stinger. It costs 2000.
Call of Duty: Black OpsEdit
175-25 explosion, 1000 direct impact (SP & MP)
|Cost (Black Ops)|
1 + 1 (MP)
1 + 2 (SP & MP)
The Strela-3 is used by Hudson while on Rebirth Island to shoot down Mi-8 helicopters that are attacking his squad. It is also used on the mission Redemption in the Wii version by Mason to shoot down enemy helicopters above the deck of the boat. This use is exclusive to the Wii version, as all other versions use a Valkyrie Rocket Launcher instead. This change is due to RAM limitations on the Wii.
The Strela-3 is a secondary launcher unlocked at level 30. It is aircraft lock-on only and comes stocked with two missiles. It serves essentially the same function as the Stinger missile from Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. It pairs well with Ghost Pro, as the player using the Strela-3 can take out a single Attack Helicopter, Chopper Gunner, or Gunship alone by firing the first missile to force the helicopter to evade with flares, then using the second to take it down entirely; Ghost Pro will ensure that the aircraft does not retaliate.
The Strela-3 missile has a long range, capable of tracking targets even after the vehicle has evaded the projectile, unlike the M72 LAW, which is unlocked earlier.
When coupled with Scavenger Pro, the Strela-3 gains a third missile, giving the player great anti-air capabilities. However, picking up Scavenger bags will not provide the player with more ammo. Also, it should be noted that the player is visible to any aircraft, so it is not recommended to take down lethal enemy killstreaks, such as a Chopper Gunner.
Call of Duty: Black Ops IIEdit
The pick-up icon and the unused Create-A-Class image of the Valkyrie Launcher can be found in the game files, but they refer to the Strela-3. They are named, hud_strela and menu_mp_weapons_strela_big, respectively. This implies that the Valkyrie Launcher was originally going to be available for Create-a-class selection in the campaign.
Furthermore, the pickup icon of the FHJ-18 AA in singleplayer is that of the Strela-3 from Call of Duty: Black Ops.
Call of Duty: Black OpsEdit
- Before the player picks up the Strela-3 it shows a Valkyrie launcher but when the player picks it up it changes to the Strela-3 launcher.
- The missiles fired by a Strela-3 are identical to the ones fired by an M72 LAW.
- The Valkyrie Rockets killstreak award is fired from a modified Strela-3 launcher, having been enhanced with an aiming module of some sort.
- Strela-3 missiles can lock-on to and take down Valkyrie Rockets.
- If a target moves out of the way (for example the Chopper Gunner) a fired rocket will usually loop around and destroy the aircraft.
- Although unusual, it is quite possible to earn a kill with the Strela-3. This happens when the enemy aircraft passes behind a building and there's an enemy player in this building (in a window or door).
- The delay between firing and reloading when aiming down the sights can be skipped by pressing the reload button, thereby reloading faster overall. This technique can also be used with the M72 LAW.