|Game||Call of Duty: Black Ops|
|Weapons||SPAS-12, FN FAL, Commando, RPK, M60, AK-47, Makarov and Dragon's Breath|
|Place||Huế, South Vietnam|
|Date||1900 hrs February 2, 1968|
|Objective||Extract the defector and intel|
Get to the LZ
Fight to the LZ
Commandeer the radio for air support
Destroy the ZSU gun emplacement
Detonate the explosive
Defend the LZ for extraction
Set up defenses to secure the LZ
Radio for Fuel Bomb Air Support
Get to the boat
|Enemies||North Vietnamese Army|
"The Defector" is the sixth campaign mission in Call of Duty: Black Ops.
Transmission# 20-8-5-18-5 Designate: OSCAR
has been overrun
Intel and Soviet defector cannot be compromised
Extraction team lead: Mason embedded with S.O.G.
1900 hours, February 2, 1968
Mason starts off in a Huey helicopter callsigned Hotel Six. As Mason's team rappels onto the roof of the MACV compound in Hue, Hotel Six is taken down by an NVA ZSU. Woods and Mason then crashes into a window in the compound, and, while Mason is on the ground, Woods eliminates three enemy soldiers, then throws the fallen Vietnamese troopers' SPAS-12 to Mason, which can use Mason's Dragon's Breath rounds.
Receiving assistance from friendly choppers, machine guns rain fire through windows quickly eliminating any enemies caught in the fire. Intensity is high, and mixing in civilians throughout the building requires quick thoughts and reactions by the player to minimize their casualties. Bowman, Woods, and Mason then quickly clear out the building attempting to find the defector. After Mason breaches a door, he finds that the defector is, to Mason's surprise, Viktor Reznov, and he informs Mason that Dragovich is planning an attack on the West, presumably the U.S.
- "American soldiers, put down your weapons! This is not your war. We do not wish you harm. The People's Army of Vietnam is here to Liberate you!"
- — Once the player has made his way into the urban streets, a Vietnamese soldier can be heard over a loudspeaker system
Outside, Mason and the rest of his team approaches a group of Soldiers and takes over their radio transmitters. Requesting assistance from the sky, he is then tasked with the job of designating buildings to be fired upon by the helicopters. While fighting through the streets, the player is able to provide reconnaissance to the choppers who soften enemy resistance. Later on in the level, the player is tasked with escorting an APC named "Bottom Feeder" through the city streets. After the APC moves a few blocks it is destroyed by NVA armor. The player then calls in an attack on the tank blowing it to pieces. They then proceed to escape the city. Before they leave, they hold off NVA soldiers and a T-55 from a landing zone, which they intend to leave from, but can't as the helicopters are under heavy fire. Then, Mason calls in a bombing run, forcing the remaining SOG operators to leave via boat, barely escaping the massive explosion caused by the bombing run.
Video WalkthroughEditCall of Duty Black Ops - Campaign - The Defector(16:54)
- Main article: The Defector/Transcript
|Found in level|
- Intel No. 13: (1/3) In the door to the right after Mason finds Reznov.
- Intel No. 14: (2/3) In the building that the player attacks with the helicopter for the second time, on a desk by a television.
- Intel No. 15: (3/3) At the very end of the level, in the building to the left when the player gets on the M60 behind the sandbags.
- SOG Rules (10 / Bronze Trophy ) - Obtained by beating "The Defector" on any difficulty.
- Raining Pain (15 / Bronze Trophy ) - Obatined by racking up a 20 kill count with the airsupport.
- The Dragon Within (15 / Bronze Trophy ) - Obtained by killing 10 NVA with the Dragon's Breath.
- Down and Dirty (25 / Silver Trophy ) - Obtained by beating "SOG, and The Defector" on Veteran.
- Main article: The Defector/Trivia