|One of our forward unit pages is pinned down and needs our expansion!|
It is requested that this article, or a section of this article, needs to be expanded.
Add to the discussion on what needs to be improved, or start your own discussion on the talk page.
|Previous level||Shadows of Evil (in-game) |
Origins (chronologically, timeline jump)
|Next level||Dead Ops Arcade 2: Cyber's Avengening (in-game)|
Der Eisendrache (chronologically)
|Game||Call of Duty: Black Ops III|
|Character||"Tank" Dempsey, Nikolai Belinski, Takeo Masaki, Edward Richtofen|
|Place||Waffenfabrik Der Riese, Lower Silesia, near Breslau, Germany|
|Date||October 13th, 1945|
|Objective||Survive for as long as possible against limitless waves of the Undead|
Activate the Beacon
- "After witnessing Richtofen execute his future self, Dempsey, Nikolai and Takeo had no choice but to fight alongside the Doctor against the shambling army of the undead once again. Though they survived to see another day, none of them were prepared for what came next."
- — Map biography
The Giant is the second Zombies map in Call of Duty: Black Ops III. It is a remake of the map Der Riese (which is German for "The Giant"), which was previously featured in Call of Duty: World at War and Call of Duty: Black Ops, and is the eighteenth (chronologically the second in the altered timeline) Zombies map overall. The map was announced as part of Black Ops III's special Collector Edition, and is accessible to Season Pass owners along with being available as an individual purchase independent of the Season Pass. The map features the return of the original characters as they appeared in the map Origins, and continues the story from where it left off.
Initially, The Giant was only available on next-gen consoles and PC. It later had an individual release for the PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC versions on May 22nd, 2016. The PlayStation 3 release was on June 2nd, 2016 while the Xbox 360 version of the map was released on July 5th, 2016.
The Giant is set in a Group 935 research facility located in Breslau, Germany. It has several rooms within it. The starting room is just outside the factory itself. There are four barricades, with two at either side of the Mainframe, one on the side of the power generator, and one down a staircase. There are two doors that leave the starting room and lead to the right or left factory rooms. This version of the map is covered in snow and falling snow is visible throughout the outside parts of the map.
- Pack-a-Punch Machine - 5000 points per use, 2500 to re-use (does not refill ammo) also locked until power is turned on and all three Teleporters are linked.
- Radio - On the left side of the mainframe on the ground.
- Mainframe - Used to connect the Teleporters, all of them lead here.
- In this map, players can activate a revised Fly Trap now know as "Paradoxical Prologue" in the same location by shooting at the following objects with a Pack-a-Punched weapon, this time with Ludvig Maxis speaking in place of Samantha. There are still three hidden objects, but they are in different places:
- A Cymbal Monkey is in an incinerator under Teleporter A.
- Looking to the right of the power switch to the balconies, there is a teddy bear on the top of the tallest balcony.
- A Teddy Bear is in a well full of water beside Teleporter B, the one on the left as the player enters the room.
Once finished, Maxis will say "I see it! The beacon is lit! I know where and when you are!... Sooner or later I will find you. Together, we will ensure a better future for the children." Players can now head to the furnace, where the Annihilator revolver can be picked up and used by any player as a special weapon. See video tutorial here
- It is possible to unlock a "secret perk" which is located under a pile of snow. Firstly, the player will need to obtain the Monkey Bombs from the Mystery Box. They will then need to throw a monkey into each teleporter before teleporting (this can be done via having someone else link the teleporter, throwing the Monkey Bomb inside and standing in the teleporter once it's linked, or by throwing the Monkey Bomb in then buying the use of the teleporter and standing in it, if it has been linked). Once they have teleported through all three, there should be a panel near the Pack-a-Punch Machine which has a glowing red button and is making noise. The player will need to hold the action button on the panel, causing a red beam of light to come out of the Giant Robot's head, and melt the snow which is covering the hidden perk.
- A remix of Beauty of Annihilation can be activated in the same way as the original version of the song: hold the use button on three green, glowing jars that have spines in them. Two of the jars are in the animal testing lab, and the third one is near Teleporter B, in a side room. There is no specific order in which these need to be done.
- Scraps of paper can be found scattered around the map, similar to Mob of the Dead, Origins and Shadows of Evil. When formed, the paper shows a blueprint of the Summoning Key, signed by Dr. Monty.
Opening Scene TranscriptEdit
Maxis: Edward, what are you doing!? Open the door! Edward! Open this door now!
Views of gears within a machine are seen, while Maxis tries to comfort his daughter.
Maxis: Stay by me Samantha!
Original Richtofen: Goodbye, Dr. Maxis.
The clock outside the facility slowly strikes 1:15, then stops. The area begins to snow. The view changes to a close-up of the Original timeline's Edward Richtofen, as he laughs maniacally.
Suddenly, a sound of a gun being cocked is heard from behind him. He turns back and sees the Origins timeline's "Tank" Dempsey.
Dempsey: This ain't funny, Doc.
Nikolai: Turn around.
The original Richtofen slowly turns toward the three of them.
Original Richtofen: Do you know... who I am!?
Dempsey: Yeah, we know. That's why you'd better do exactly what we say.
Nikolai: A great evil approaches. There is a chain of events that must be set in motion.
The sound of zombies screeching outside catches the three's attention. Dempsey and Nikolai turn around, ready to face the horde.
Takeo: (to Richtofen) The future hangs by a thread. You must awaken the test subjects.
Nikolai stands guard near a barrier, while Dempsey readies his dual pistols. Takeo slowly draws his katana, still staring at Richtofen. The camera switches to views of the teleporter behind Richtofen, then quickly turns black.
Zombies begin to break through the barrier, but are stopped by Nikolai, Dempsey and Takeo. Richtofen then begins to activate the teleporter.
Dempsey: Richtofen! Whatever you're thinking of doing, don't do it!
Nikolai: You do not want to meet what's on the other side of that door!
Takeo: You cannot begin to comprehend the great evil you could unleash!!
Richtofen ignores the three's warning, and pushes the button. The teleporter slowly opens, revealing a bright white light inside. He slowly steps forward the teleporter, his face showing excitement.
A figure then steps out of the teleporter, and is revealed to be the Origins timeline's Richtofen. The original Richtofen takes off his hat, ready to greet the alternate Richtofen. The young Richtofen quickly pulls out a gun and shoots the original Richtofen in the head, killing him instantly.
Dempsey: Dammit Richtofen, I thought we were done with this!
Richtofen checks on his other self's corpse and quickly uses the Summoning Key to preserve his soul, although this moment cannot be seen.
Richtofen: What can I say, Dempsey? Things change.
Nikolai: Only a fool would dare to change history!
Richtofen walks pass Nikolai, with Nikolai following Richtofen, before the four line up side by side as they ready their weapons.
Richtofen: I am no fool. What I do... I do only to secure a better tomorrow.
Dempsey: Yeah? Well, let's see if we live to see it.
As the zombie horde approaches the four heroes, they leap into the air and charge at the zombies. Takeo, leading in front, swings his katana at the screen, as it turns black.
- Main article: The Giant (Black Ops III)/Quotes
- Main article: The Giant (Black Ops III)/Radios
Ciphers and Scrap PaperEdit
- Main article: The Giant (Black Ops III)/Ciphers and Scrap Paper
- The teleporters are seen with the Iron Cross, rather than the Nazi Swastika symbol, as opposed to the original Der Riese.
- The perks are now randomized, but they are in the same locations as before.
- The Mystery Box can now spawn at any box location.
- The Fly Trap Easter Egg has changed significantly. Instead of Samantha speaking during the Easter Egg, it is Ludvig Maxis; the objects are also in different places than before. Lastly the player can receive the Annihilator from the furnace as a special weapon after completing the easter egg.
- On top of the building behind the power switch, Icarus from Mob of the Dead can be seen resting on top of it.
- As players reach higher rounds, the characters' personalities begin to change, as they will start to act like their World War II versions of themselves. For example, Nikolai will begin mentioning vodka and Richtofen will claim that he hears voices.
- If the player has already collected six perks when a perk bottle is collected again, Samantha will laugh.
- When teleporting, the player may see images of Original Richtofen, zombified or unzombified, sometimes both. The zombified image is the same image that appears in the jumpscare Easter Egg in Shadows of Evil.
- There was previously no snowfall on the Xbox One version of the map, but this was fixed in the February 8, 2016 update.
- Like with Der Riese, when a Monkey Bomb is thrown in the furnace, it will scream.
- Also like Der Riese, the player can get free points by going prone in front of the Perk-a-Cola machines, although now 100 points is given instead of 25 and points can be earned from Mule Kick.
- Behind the loading screen, there are blueprints for the Wave Gun, the same ones as the ones found in Combine.
- As of the February 1st, 2016 update, the Death Machine can now be dropped by zombies or collected from the random power-up spot after teleporting.
- Also, when a player finishes a game of The Giant, the character they were playing as will have the beaten up appearance of when they were in Der Eisendrache.
- ↑ twalker#Giant1.txt
- ↑ https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-sg/games/addons/black-ops-iii-the-giant-zombies-map/cid=UP0002-CUSA02290_00-BLACKOPS3GIANT00
- ↑ https://store.xbox.com/en-GB/Xbox-One/DLC/Black-Ops-III-The-Giant-Zombies-Map/cdacbf1e-b4a0-4302-a445-1139d70326bb
- ↑ http://store.steampowered.com/app/366849/
- ↑ https://blog.activision.com/t5/Call-of-Duty/Call-of-Duty-Black-Ops-3-Zombies-The-Giant-Now-Available-as/ba-p/9943751
- ↑ http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Black-Ops-III-The-Giant-Zombies-Map/5d83a74a-457c-4f71-9e5c-781b77a6f7b6