The Game Engine is what controls many aspects of the game such as physics and graphics.
iD Tech 3 EngineEdit
The iD Tech 3 Engine is the first engine used by the series. Both the IW Engine and Treyarch NGL are based on it.
It is used by many games, including:
- Call of Duty 2 (2005) - IW 2.0
- Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (2007) IW 3.0
- Call of Duty: World at War (2008) - IW 3.0 (Modified)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2009) - IW 4.0
- Call of Duty: Black Ops (2010) - IW 3.0 (Modified)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (2011) - MW3 engine (Modified IW 4.0)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops II (2012) - Black Ops II engine (Modified IW 3.0)
The Treyarch NGL engine was only used in two games before it was replaced by IW 3.0.