- "See how the other half live! Play as a zombie and feast on the human for a chance to be... turned!"
- — Description
Turned is a game mode exclusive to Zombies in Call of Duty: Black Ops II. This game mode was introduced in the downloadable content pack, Revolution and later featured in the Vengeance pack. Turned allows players to play as the zombies for the first time in Zombies mode and hunt down the lone human.
In Turned, four players will spawn as zombies. The first player to reach the 'cure' (a red power up as a Perk-a-Cola bottle) becomes the human. Each round is six minutes long. The player who is the human at the end of the match will get bonus points to add onto their score. The player with the most points at the end wins.
The human player must kill the zombies with guns that change after every kill, similar to Gun Game. If the human is killed by a zombie, the human will spawn as one of the zombies and the zombie that killed the human will take their place as the lone survivor. Zombies have the special ability 'Zombie Vision', which allows the zombies to see the human (highlighted in red) behind walls and from across the map.
Power-Ups in Turned are available in four possible colors; Green, Red, Blue and Purple.
Green power-ups are dropped by zombies and can be picked up by humans, while red power ups are dropped by humans and can only be picked up by zombies. Blue power ups can be dropped or picked up by either side. It's currently unknown what purple power ups actually do.
- Nuke - Green Nukes freeze all zombies in their tracks, and cause them to respawn in another location. Red Nukes cause the human to switch over to the zombie team, and the zombie that picked it up becomes the human.
- Max Ammo - Green Max Ammo powerups act in the same way as in normal game modes, while red Max Ammo powerups empty the human's current magazine, forcing them to reload.
- Double Points - Green Double Points power-ups double the points gained every second for the human, while the red Double Points increases zombie health.
- Cymbal Monkey - The cymbal monkey turns the human invisible to the zombies, and a decoy is spawned (does not work if thrown into the lava). Zombies that are killed from the explosion drop a blue monkey for the human.
- Cure - The cure turns a zombie back into a human. This Power-Up only spawns in the beggining of the game and can only be used by one player even though it's red.
- Polyarmory (30/Bronze Trophy ) - In Diner Turned, get a kill with each primary weapon in a Public Match.
- Monkey See, Monkey Doom (15/Bronze Trophy ) -In Diner Turned, retrieve a chained Cymbal Monkey in a Public Match.
- I See Live People (20/Bronze Trophy ) - In Diner Turned, kill the human while its decoy is in play in a Public Match.
- The "zombies" use a modified version of the "BRAAAINS...." weapon.
- Turned is only available on the maps Diner and Borough.
- This is the second Zombies game mode where all players are not all on the same team, the first being Grief.
- Originally, in Call of Duty: World at War and Call of Duty: Black Ops, there was a possibility of the player becoming a zombie.
- This is the first zombie mode that makes a debut in a DLC, rather than appearing in the game upon product release.
- The zombies move extremely fast when sprinting, similar to when they chase the bus in TranZit.
- This is the first time that the Call of Duty series has a zombie faction. The logo is a skull, with a 115 logo on it.
- Losing players as zombies in Turned will have a glowing yellow light from their eyes (similar to when Samantha controls the zombies), while the winning player as a zombie will have a glowing blue light from their eyes as a zombie (similar to when Richtofen controls the zombies in regular game modes).
- In a Public Match, Turned limits the party size to one person. This includes guest accounts. This can be bypassed by joining a player's session in progress while there is a spot in the player's pre-game lobby, as this counts as joining the server instead of the party.
- The player, as a human, will give off a glow to the zombies that makes them easier to find. This glow is identical to that of the Dual Band Scope. It is not active for a few seconds after a new player is turned human, giving them a small amount of time to hide or move with less of a chance of being seen.
- When the player respawns as a zombie, they will briefly lie in the downed stance, as if they need reviving, and hold out their hand as if holding a pistol (seen when watching a Turned game in theatre).
- The deaths counted in Turned count as downs on the players leaderboards, so it is advised not to play this mode if attempting to rank up.
- On Call of Duty: ELITE, Turned is referred to as "Cleansed."
- It's possible for two people to be human at one time. As seen here .
- Turned's Game mechanics explain how the zombies are always able to find the playable characters. They are unable to hide from the zombies due to the so-called "Zombie Vision" that allows them to see through walls.
- ↑ According to the source file called _zombiemode.gsc line "set_zombie_var("zombify_player",false);" and many other functions like "zombify_player()" and "playerzombie_downed_state()".