The game got many perfect reviews by critics, although some critics claimed it "Wasn't as good as Modern Warfare 2". One review claimed:
- "Treyarch delivers their best Call of Duty to date - but not the best in the series."
While Gametrailers said:
- ..It's a robust, quality product from top to bottom. The campaign is brief but memorable, and the multiplayer has taken millions of hours of real world testing to heart. The total amount of worthwhile content makes paying full price for most other games feel like a crime. Treyarch has closed the gap between its games and the Modern Warfare franchise with boundless customization, a keen sense of what makes the formula a success, and listening to fans. You won't regret answering the call once again.
Gamespot's good and bad parts of the game were:
- Thrilling variety throughout campaign
- Fractured story creates an intriguing atmosphere
- New multiplayer currency system is invigorating
- Combat training lets anyone enjoy multiplayer excitement
- Theater lets you share and enjoy triumphs and failures.
- Short campaign.