The First Hour
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
- There was no warning. One moment I was sitting peacefully in my living room. The next I was at my window witnessing my neighbours being dragged from their homes and onto the streets. Men in dark red & black combat gear moved door to door, breaking inside and ripping the residents from their homes. It wasn't long before they seeped into my apartment block. Within minutes I could hear the footsteps in the halls. Without waiting for them to find me, I balanced myself over the rail and dropped down to the street below. It was a hard fall, but I lived. I got to my feet and started running. Where? I hadn't the slighting fucking idea. But through the panic & the chaos, running just seemed like a pretty good idea.
- I found myself at the diner, so far untouched by our mysterious invaders. I broke through the door and in a stuttering panic and informed them of what was going on. "There is an army out there tearing the suburbs apart!" I wheezed, the noticed everyone had directed their attention to the TV set in the corner, which was now on full volume tuned to the local news broadcast.
- "This is an emergency broadcast. The United States is under invasion. This is not a joke or a security simulation. The soldiers you are seeing are of the Russian Army, evacuate to your nearest security centre or outpost immediatly. I repeat, evacuate to your nearest security centre or outpost immediatly!" Panic finally set in as every man & woman in the diner threw themselves at the exits and out into the streets. My mind was racing, I trying to figure out where I'm supposed to go and my legs suddenly felt to heavy to move. "Gareth!" A voice blared into my ear beside me, it was Paul the diner chef & a friend. "C'mon we gotta get the fuck out of here!" He yelled again, dragging me towards the exit.
- As I rejoined the world outside, I knew this was only going to get much worse.
- - The F.N.G says: First time using a blog as a medium for a story. The next chapter will follow in 2/3 days and will probably be longer than this sorry excuse for an opener. Regardless, feedback (if you like), comments or even just a rating would be very much appreciated. If anyone has any ideas or would like to work on another project in collab then feel free to ask. Thanks for reading!