"X" is the codename of an informant in Call of Duty: Black Ops.
Very little is known about this mysterious informant, neither was his agenda, but from the info "X" provided, he has access to highly classified intel, including CIA "Top Secret" grade info. This may be a reference to a character in Oliver Stone's "JFK" film.
What has been known about this informant only came from the Mason's, Weaver's, Hudson's text files on their respective CIA online account, accessible via the terminal inside the torture chamber. They were not among the mails in the email server, but as separate text files, denoted with a capital "X" in the file name.
- This dated to 1977, informing Weaver that his sister Olga survived Stalin's Great Purge, but died during childbirth in 10/11/1955. Her daughter, Kristina, now lived in Moscow.
- Informed that Frank Woods was alive and currently the only American occupant in the "Hanoi Hilton"
- This message was said to be sent in 1978. Woods, however, escaped captivity in 1972 and was back to CIA duty as early as 1975.
- Told Daniel Clarke's intent to hide out at his brother's place in Johannesburg after he escaped from Dragovich's Ural mountain compound. This was mentioned in Clarke's journal and that was material marked "Top Secret" by the CIA.
- Little is known what use could a piece of intel serve that is 10 years old - not to mention Clarke was long dead by now - would get Mason interested. However this could be a secret hint that Mason got as he, Hudson and Weaver took a trip to South Africa, possibly to this hide out.
- "X" also showed he had connections to let Mason read messages from his father.
- "X" warned Hudson he was under close watch by his superiors.